Re: [new_distillers] Fire extiguisher powder mash

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2002
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Fire extiguisher powder mash
      Tom asked:

      Could I use the ammonium phosphate mono from an fire extinguisher chem supplier to feed my yeast? I have had A hard time getting good nutrients and stuff to get brewing in my location. The yeast food is very high priced and raises too many questions for the amount purchased "JUST FOR HIGH OCTANE BEER&#34
      I'm trying to find a sensible answer to this sensible question, and will pass it on if I find it.

      Mike N
      Hokay, the word I got back on this one from a mycologist is that although the monobasic should stimulate yeast growth, the phosphorus and nitrogen content are out of balance.  The monobasic used in fire extinguishers may also be a “technical” grade that would include all sorts of unknown and unnamed other compounds – since it is NOT intended for a food product use.  For these reasons it would probably be better to stick with the dibasic sold in brew shops as it will not only be more efficient, but it will give you peace of mind.  A little goes a long, long way (even half a kilo of the dibasic would just about represent a lifetime's supply), so the cost per "dose" will be tiny compared with what you have paid for the sugar in a batch.  .

      Mike N