Re: column tree length

  • tony6163
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2002
      G'Day Mate,

      I built a valved reflux still like yours after having made and run an
      internal reflux model. Before I started construction, I did a search
      of the forums looking for comments by other users and this is what I
      found.

      1. Increase the height of the column.

      I made mine 36" but the reflux return tube enters the column at a
      height of 30.5" I don't know if the packing above this height is
      effective (any eggheads care to comment?)

      2. Increase the size of the condensor.

      I increased the height of mine from 6" to 9" and made a vented cap
      with a finger that went down though the center of the condensor coil
      to increase the vapour contact with the coil. see a pic of it here
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/files/Tony6163/valved_ref
      lux_mods.JPG

      3. The needle valve on the reflux return line is not neccessary.

      You can control the amount of reflux with the needle valve on the
      draw off tube only.

      I gave mine it's first run on the weekend and was very impressed with
      it's efficiency using a 1000w element with a 25l wash getting 4.5l of
      95% spirit.

      sorry if this is a repeated post

      regards

      Tony