Re: [new_distillers] Coagulating Juices

  • Baker
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28 9:57 AM

      Hey Alex,

      This is entirely normal. Alcohol causes the pectin to coagulate. You have actually stumbled across a simple test that cooks use to find out if the fruit they'd like to make into jam has enough pectin in it to gel properly.

       BOKAKOB <bokakob@...> wrote:

      I noticed that when I dilute 95% alcohol with juices to make a drink, the juice pulp coagulates and separates from the liquid in lumped masses. For example, I take 25mL of 95% untreated after the distillation alcohol and mix it with 100mL  of orange juice which contains no coarse pulp. After three or four minutes I would see a picture similar to milk coagulating when a few drops of lemon juice are added to it. What is most interesting is that when I filter this mix I get clear hard liquor very much tasting as Contreau. The same thing is happening when I repeat the experiment with any other juice containing fine particles/pulp. It does not happen to clear juices obviously. I filter the coagulated mix through the coffee paper filter. The result of the coagulation process and then filtering is clear white esseence or hard liquor with a taste and flavor of the original juice. All of these "coagulated drinks" taste good ( to me) and I like it quite a lot; but I am curious if this is normal.
      Did anyone experience anything similar?
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?

      Do you Yahoo!?