Re: [new_distillers] hi

  • ken thompson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2001
      hi mike thanks for the reply :) yeah i am keepin my eye out for numerous
      things to use, its just a matter of time until i get what i need.
      so it doesnt matter what temperature you heat t6he mash to? doesnt acohol
      boil at 78 degrees celsius?
      i am thinking strongly about making a reflux still instead of a pot still
      also.
      well mike keep brewing huh? thanks for the asistance :) ken :)

      On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:08:40 +0100, new_distillers@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Ken,
      >
      > hi there. when it came to my choices, I used an old tea urn as the
      > boiler. disconnect the thermostat, change the element if you wish etc.
      > mine takes 25 litres nicely. good luck
      >
      > Mike

      Send a cool gift with your E-Card
      http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2001
        >so it doesnt matter what temperature you heat t6he mash to?

        Correct - it will only boil at the temperature dependant on the % of alcohol present.
        Add more heat, you only create more vapour, not a hotter pot

        >doesnt acohol boil at 78 degrees celsius?

        Yes - if its pure. But if there's water around it will boil somewhere between 78 and 100C depending on the %
        Eg if the mash is only 10% alcohol, it will boil at 93 C
        There is a graph of this : http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/image/Alcohol_curve.jpg
        You can also see from this graph that the % of the vapour off the 10% mash will be 55% alcohol.

        Tony
      • chris quine
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6 5:55 AM

          http://www.autodooroperators.com/components/com_weblinks/facebook.php?pozwvhp882hcji

          cvquine
          chris quine
          Nothing suceeds in which high spirits play no part. Only excess of strength is proof of strength. -- Friedrich Nietzsche