Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Report on Finished 'Wild Parakeet'

Expand Messages
  • andy_galewsky
    Here is the final report on my first all grain whiskey. I made three batches of mash the first being 10lbs Corn, 1lb rye, 1lb 2 row barley. After it was done
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2002
    • 0 Attachment
      Here is the final report on my first all grain whiskey. I made
      three batches of mash the first being 10lbs Corn, 1lb rye, 1lb 2 row
      barley. After it was done I made the second and third batch with
      about half what was in the fermenter and added additional grain. I
      did not use any of the stuff left over in the still. I am confused
      as to what is really sour mash...

      But I digress - after I had the low wines from the three batches I
      distilled it in my pot still untill from 82-92f. The final abv was
      80%. I diluted it to 55% and put it in a glass jug with toasted and
      plain oak.

      About this time I got the Lindsay book on making whiskey, brandy and
      cordials so I decided to try some of the maturation processes
      outline there.

      I added a teaspoon of glycerin/liter, a half teaspoon of tartaric
      acid/liter and then aeriated it for a day with a bubbler.

      There were dramatic changes in the smoothness and flavor after
      this...

      I should have probably continued the maturation for at least ten
      days - but the guys at the office demanded that I bring it in.

      They declared it exellant - Kind of like Makers Mark.

      So there it is for what its worth...
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.