Jesse Duke

  • Stevensgang@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2000
      Tony! In your website under potstill designs. Jesse explains how a
      thump keg works. Also though he explains that in a grain mash if it is
      left fermenting to long that it will turn to wood alcohol which is
      poison!! Of course. But I've never heard of that have you? I've read
      that it will turn to vinegar. Which is useless but not as scary as
      methanol!! Do you know anything about it?
    • yldog@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 25, 2000
        hi Steven
        If the grain mash is left fermenting to long it can only produce
        methanol which is wood alcohol if inferior yeast start to process the
        sugar. This can only happen if there is sugar left after the
        distillers yeast have finished / died off.
        The grain mash can change to vinegar if the mash comes into contact
        with a large amount of air.
        All you have to do to stop both of these things happening is stop the
        mash having contact with the outside air by using an air lock or a
        suitable cover.
        from Scott