RE: [new_distillers] ice distilling

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2001
      I've never had much luck doing this myself. The ice always ended up
      trapping the alcohol with it - no clean layer to pour off. Maybe I was
      freezing it too fast ?

      I've some information about the techniques used, at
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/notstill.htm#freeze

      Tony
    • Kev
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 25, 2001
        > Maybe I was
        > freezing it too fast ?

        Tony,

        Try doing what you have to do when making good Kulfi (Indian ice-
        cream). After an hour in the freezer (your wash, not you
        personally...), whisk the mixture up to stop large ice crystals
        forming. Repeat ever half hour or so for the next couple of hours.

        As the intention here is to remove the ice completely anyway, you
        could go in with a sieve each hour / half hour and remove the ice
        crystals formed so far.

        The problem here, as you point out on your site, is that you're
        leaving the hang-over alcohols in too. I've been wondering if you
        could use the freezing technique to re-concentrate 40% alcohol after
        carbon filtering for ease of storage. I'll have to have a play and
        find out. I'll let the group(s) know how I get on.

        Kev.
      • ups474@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25, 2001
          Freeze concentrating alcohol won't work past 40%- I've tried it- the alcohol
          just gets kind of syrupy - but no ice forms.
        • Kev
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 25, 2001
            --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
            > Freeze concentrating alcohol won't work past 40%- I've tried it-
            the alcohol
            > just gets kind of syrupy - but no ice forms.

            Another good idea bites the dust. Re-arrange the following letters to
            make a well-known phrase or saying...

            R B U E G ! G

            Kev.