Re: [new_distillers] ice distilling

  • janpam ooms
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2001
      Very easy, just put the wash in a bucket and leave it in the deepfreeze for
      a few days,the water is frozen and you can tip off the alcohol. Regards
      Jan. PS. CHECK SOME OF THE WEB SITES AND YOU WILL SEE HOW IT WORKS.

      >From: d.korbo@...
      >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [new_distillers] ice distilling
      >Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 04:27:07 -0000
      >
      >I was wondering if there was any way to distill a mash by freezing it
      >
      >thanks

    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21, 2001
        I've never had much luck doing this myself. The ice always ended up
        trapping the alcohol with it - no clean layer to pour off. Maybe I was
        freezing it too fast ?

        I've some information about the techniques used, at
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/notstill.htm#freeze

        Tony
      • Kev
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25, 2001
          > Maybe I was
          > freezing it too fast ?

          Tony,

          Try doing what you have to do when making good Kulfi (Indian ice-
          cream). After an hour in the freezer (your wash, not you
          personally...), whisk the mixture up to stop large ice crystals
          forming. Repeat ever half hour or so for the next couple of hours.

          As the intention here is to remove the ice completely anyway, you
          could go in with a sieve each hour / half hour and remove the ice
          crystals formed so far.

          The problem here, as you point out on your site, is that you're
          leaving the hang-over alcohols in too. I've been wondering if you
          could use the freezing technique to re-concentrate 40% alcohol after
          carbon filtering for ease of storage. I'll have to have a play and
          find out. I'll let the group(s) know how I get on.

          Kev.
        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 25, 2001
            Freeze concentrating alcohol won't work past 40%- I've tried it- the alcohol
            just gets kind of syrupy - but no ice forms.
          • Kev
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 25, 2001
              --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
              > Freeze concentrating alcohol won't work past 40%- I've tried it-
              the alcohol
              > just gets kind of syrupy - but no ice forms.

              Another good idea bites the dust. Re-arrange the following letters to
              make a well-known phrase or saying...

              R B U E G ! G

              Kev.