Hello All

  • d.korbo@sk.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12, 2001
      I am just writing this to let you know that I am new to your group.
      I have made a few runs and have had no real big problems. I would
      like
      to thank everyone in this group for the postings of your problems
      and
      solutions, it has helped.
      I am in Canada so it was hard to find a way of keeping my wash at 25
      or above. I built a box out af wood with a Thermostat and an in car
      heater mounted on the lid. Now the temp can be regulated and the wash
      can stay outside while fermenting.

      This group is great,keep it up bye for now.
    • Alexander-James Corbin Rauwsen III
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
        Ewwwhewww,
        shor am glad fer this entrnet thang thinkn bout firin up grannys old
        teaketle and cookin up a batch of corn squezins. Hop thos revnew
        fellers dont com round mite hav to show em the busnis end of an old
        doubl barl than aint laoded wif sofa pillers.

        OK not really but I just had to do that. Ive had an interest ing this
        for quite a number of years. Starting with an old pot that I built out
        of a crock pot and some copper pipe when I was about 12. Working from
        an old recipie I found in a book it yeilded an unknown ammount of
        rather rancid smelling stuff that needless to say wasnt consumed in
        any quanity in part because of the stories of improper process
        resulting in all kinds of undesirable effects. Well 16 years later Im
        ready to give it another try. Have been passivly gathering interesting
        items for the last couple of years in my pilferings (I do alot of
        scrap recycling as a side business) and a recent visit to the sooner
        state and seeing a friends setup which I had no idea he had BTW. Im
        ready to take these liberated parts and see what I can make them do.
        For a boiler Ive secured an 8 gallon (sorry imperial for me) SS soda
        carbonator tank has many access holes and various other fittings
        making it well suited for the job.(these things normally run with ~100
        PSI of water and gas pressure) Various sizes of heating elements and a
        fairly fancy heating controler designed for use with solar water
        heaters. Other materials will be purchased new tubing fitings ect...
        The plan is for a reflux type there is a 2" opening on the top of the
        tank with a tapped mounting flange perfect for mountingthe colum to.
        Thats the plan so far will try to update as it progresses (slowly some
        times) and hopefully the feds dont come knocking before I have a
        chance to enjoy the fruit of my labor. Anyone know of any recent acts
        of enforcement on individuals for personal use?
        Thanks for the info I garnered so far,
        AJ
      • Phil
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9, 2006
          Hi everybody, I just got hold of a 25L Super Reflux still. Have never distilled before (although
          I have done a bit of homebrewing in the past) so am very excited and keen to get into it.

          I'm sure I will be pestering you all with silly newbie questions so here is my apology in
          advance!

          Regards, Phil
        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 10, 2006
            welcome to the world of ilicit distilling Phil!
            first caveat: don't let the buggers get you down. We are normally
            pretty helpful.
            second: there is a link to homedistillers.org at the bottom of posts.
            Please read it first. So many questions that seem really misterious to
            people new to distilling are answered there. (after a while it annoys
            even the most genial group member to have to answer a question for the
            millionth time in a week).
            third: it's supposed to be fun!

            (most of these comments are addressed to everyone - including me - as a
            reminder).

            cheers
            Rob.

            --- Phil <dyer@...> wrote:

            > Hi everybody, I just got hold of a 25L Super Reflux still. Have never
            > distilled before (although
            > I have done a bit of homebrewing in the past) so am very excited and
            > keen to get into it.
            >
            > I'm sure I will be pestering you all with silly newbie questions so
            > here is my apology in
            > advance!
            >
            > Regards, Phil

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • i_brew_spirits
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 10, 2006
              You'll love it, I've only done 6 batches and with everyone you learn
              more...all up it is very easy.....

              Good luck

              One more thing... don't taste test too much, I was very pissed on
              first batch and broke my thermomotor. DohÂ….