Re: Taste to much like fresh bread.

  • stillyaakman
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      --- In new_distillers@y..., "Maxxon Gremillion" <razzmaxx@y...> wrote:
      > Hello, been very busy with School and all but trying to keep read
      up
      > on the post. I recently ran a sugar wash through a low budget pot
      > still and got nice clean good 140 proof product but it just taste
      > much like bread to me. Do I need to run it thru the still again?
      > Something I might do diffrent to prevent this in future washes,
      Wadda
      > ya think?
      >
      > Thank,
      > Maxx

      Hi maxx

      I recently did the same thing. The difference was actually making 4
      runs and ending up with 86% abv. It's still not a clean flavorless
      alcohol, but it tastes good. There's just a slightly sweet finish to
      the flavor. Best way I can describe it.
      On my last run I stopped collecting at 180 deg. f.

      Regards Dan
    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
        Bread taste? That sounds like a yeast-taste - which suggests that you look
        at your fermentation and clarifying steps. You used a sugar wash -
        1) did you pour off the wash, leaving yeast residue behind?
        2) did you clarify? How?
        3) what were starting and ending S.G.?
        4) was this a 20L Turbo fermentation? How large is your kettle?
        5) when you poured the wash into the kettle, did you end up with a clear
        liquid in the kettle?

        Also, how fast did you distill - it is possible that some yeast flavors were
        pushed over into the distillate if the still ran too fast.
        6) how many hours of distillation?
        7) did you pot distill once, or twice to get 140proof.

        John V