Run through the fractioning col.

  • andy_galewsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
      Somewhere I must have done something wrong - perhaps it was in
      estimating the abv of my beer striping run.

      What happened was I put about 2.5l of what I thought was 35%abv in
      my newly made fractioning col. (attached to the pot of my pot still)

      It ran just like the book said and at about 78c the condensate
      tasted smooth and very little flavor (but good). I started
      tinkering with the heat and the temp shot up to 80 and the taste
      went to hell!

      I thought maybe I upset the equlibrium and backed the heat down.
      Well to make a long story short. It never went down - so I got only
      about 250ml of good stuff...

      My calculations say that there are about .8l of ethanol at 35% in
      2.5l. Lets say that it was coming off at about 80%abv I should have
      gotten at least 500ml before it started tasting REAL bad.

      The various fractions were quite obvious using the fractioning
      column.

      Any thoughts would be appriciated... Could the really vile taste be
      the dreaded esters that Ian Smiley talks about...