Re: [new_distillers] Re: Vacuum Drying

  • George Wessel
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2002

      > there was a discussion along these lines in the bio fuel list about 3
      > or 4 months ago. MotieD was trying to find a way to start the
      > distillation process using vacuum and a lower boiling temperature.
      > He was trying to reduce the energy consumption in the distillation
      > phase.
      >
      > One of the suggestions was to use a large propane tank as a
      > vacuum 'engine' or storeage device. Much like a capacitor in
      > electronics work. They discussed that because a 2 thousand gallon
      > propane tank at 30 inches of vacuum would have such a large volume it
      > could be used to store the vacuum and then draw the ethanol vapor
      > into it during a low temperature distillation.
      >
      > after the distillation phase, the tank can be emptied.

      (snip)
      This is along the same lines as I am thinking

      Thanks

      > ========================
      > Thanks Randy. I've just been doing some figgerin ... a 2000 US gallon
      > propane tank exhausted to 30 inches vacuum would be subjected to a pressure
      > of 235.3 tons! I just love trivia like that :-))

      (snip)
      Does a popane tank make as big a bang when it implodes as it does when
      it explodes? Just wondering how far back I should dig my hole to hid
      in. Or how far out into the pasture I need to drag this thing before I
      apply the vacuum.

      Looks like I'll just have to front the $50.00 bucks and hook up a vacuum
      pump and wait and see.
    • George Wessel
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2002
        homedistiller@... wrote:

        > Hello George,
        >
        > I'm still somewhat puzzled about what you want to dry actually.
        >
        > In the beginning, I (and others) thought you wanted to dry the spent
        > grains.

        This and my freshly grown malted barley is all. I explained farther in
        another email.

        Thanks
      • motie_d
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 2, 2002
          Hi All!
          Glad to see this topic again. Randy informed me off-list about it.
          I've been gone for several months, and only able to check my Emails
          irregularly.
          My original premise was not simply to do a vacuum distilation, but
          to do a vacuum fermentation concurrently. I wanted to distill off at
          least some of the Ethanol at a temp where the Yeasts could survive
          and keep working to keep the mash below 10%.
          Sort of a crude continous-process. Keep adding sugar and drawing off
          Ethanol with a vacuum.
          It will be another month or so before I have much time to actively
          participate.

          Keep thinking!
          Motie

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 2, 2002
            raises another: why do you want to dry the grain when it is the
            sugars you want from the malted grain to ferment in order to make
            your fuel alcohol? Am I missing something?

            (snip)
            I want to dry the spent grains after I ferment it. First of all to get
            all the recoverable alcohol out of the grain and second so it will store
            until it can be fed. Last of all because you can only feed a cow so
            much water per day in her daily diet. I will have to look it up, I'm not
            sure anymore how much it was but it can be easily surpassed when feeding
            spent grains. One place I saw piped their CO2 from their fermenter into
            a box that held their spend grains and they fed out of the box. No
            oxygen or less oxygen, no spoilage.

            Not sure that your two cows would appreciate the smell of it
            though after its been through that propane tank.

            (snip)
            I would have to be inclined to say that after I heat these tanks a few
            times the popane smell would come out of the steel. Let me the first to
            say I could be wrong. But I have smelled old popane tanks that have lost
            this bad smell after setting awhile.