Re: [new_distillers] More on Thumper Warning long message

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hello Robert,
      My attention was tweaked by your lead-in sentence to Tony A. , i.e. Apple
      Schnapps. I am in fact in the middle of doing the same thing here. At the
      moment I have 10L of fermented apple pressings being frozen in 2L batches
      (ups474's technique). That will then be pot-distilled. I have another 10L
      fermenting. And I am thinking of doing another 10L, ferment on the pulp.
      Makes for fine AppleJack!
      JohnV

      Robert Stam wrote:

      > Hi Tony, I'm making Apple Schnapps which seems to have a bit of flavour
      > present. On a different note, I was a bit confused about some of the
      > postings regarding temperature and fractions etc. and went back and
      > reread some of the theory. It's amazing how you can read something once
      > when you are new to a practice, then go away and get some experience and
      > later come back and reread the same script and it has a different
      > uderstanding.I had always understood that while the mixture of different
      > components would have a mean temperature of x the individual components
      > would vapourise as their respective boiling points were reached. But
      > apparantly not. So is there any point in controlling the element and
      > reducing the energy input, since you have to reach the x temperature of
      > the mixture anyway? My thought was that you could heat the wash to the
      > temp. of the lowest BP in the mix, evaporate that off, step up the temp
      > to the next one, and continue. But since this won't work why would you
      > want to control the temp.instead of just throwing energy into the wash
      > and speeding up the process?Cheers, Rob

      [Image]