Re: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Phase angle power regulation

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hello Al Lewis,
      many thanks for your reply to my problem. It sounds as if I need a triac
      controller. Does anyone know what specs. this thing has? Do I have to
      specify volts or amps or whatever? Come on folks - loosen up - for the
      umpteenth time, please TELL me what I need to ask for at the hardware
      store.
      John V

      Mike Nixon wrote:

      > al lewis wrote:
      > Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Phase angle power
      > regulation
      >
      > Hi John,
      > I would go for a triac controller.
      > Regfarding all the stuff on recently about Triac and how nasty things
      > they are for for feeding hash into the mains let us not forget there are
      > millions in use in homes across the world as light dimmers. These must
      > comply to the requiered regulation??? if they dont how come so many are
      > in use??
      > The hash killer in them is a verry simple 'choke' i.e. a coil of wire
      > wound on a ferrite core. If it works in them why not in a more powerful
      > device?? [I am a licenced ham and understand about interfierence] also
      > was an electronic tech for 20 odd years. Less
      > scare mongering please. You can build or I'm sure get Triac controller
      > for much less than you would pay for a 20Amp+ variac John. Its a much
      > better choice in my humble opinion. So no lectures from people reading
      > taxt books please. Kind regards Go for it John
      > rom:===============================Well Al, you may have been an
      > electronic technician for 20 years, and be a licenced ham, so I am
      > surprised that you believe that a simple ferrite core would adequately
      > suppress a high power triac device. It has been covered before on this
      > list, in detail, and it was pointed out that light dimmers are low
      > current devices that produce weak RFI. Nevertheless, they require
      > suppression, and a small ferrite core suffices (with a decoupling
      > capacitor of course). Very much larger currents are involved in
      > controllers that can handle the loads imposed by heater elements, and the
      > RFI generated can be very much stronger than your amateur ham radio.
      > Zero crossing triggering and burst fire control eliminates most of this,
      > leaving only a small amount of RFI to be dealt with. Of course, an
      > electronic technician of your experience will know the difference between
      > phase angle control, as commonly used in light dimmers, and burst fire
      > control, which is not. No lectures Al. Just a few friendly comments from
      > a hairy old electrical/electronic engineer, with 40 years of practical
      > experience under his belt, and who writes the text books you don't like
      > reading. By the way, a quick search on Google for CENELEC will get you
      > some interesting information about the regulations you mention. More
      > specifically, to save you time, look up IEC/EN61000-3-2 and
      > IEC/EN61000-3-3. Mike NixonCEng MIEE

    • al lewis
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 1, 2002
        Hi Tony, I'm sorry to say that I have reffled some very big birds feathers
        on this one. It was a pleasure and I have gained a lot
        from having been on your mailing list.
        I will now bow out gracefully and get off the list.let the super hero's let
        everybody know how EVERYTHING is done.[in their part of the woods]
        Kind regards to you. al