wood fired first runnings and some questions

  • brewingrulez
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      G'day,

      Firstly, thanks to all the members who replied on and off list to my
      earlier questions.

      Considering that some people run their gas fired stills inside, we
      decided that an outside wood fired still could be a possibility.

      To help control fire hazard problems,
      1. Used a metal shroud around base of keg, so that fire is not
      licking up side of keg, and any leaks do not fall directly into fire.
      2. The small gap between boiler and shroud was sealed with clay.
      3. Output ethanol is collected via a collection tube from output
      needle valve a metre away from side of still.
      4. When collected output gets to about 200ml, this is emptied into
      collection vessel well away from scene of action.
      5. Bushfire fighting knapsack is kept handy for putting out fire.
      6. Shovel is kept handy for shoveling out coals reducing fire under
      boiler.
      7. We did a plain water run, then a run with 5 litre wash and 10
      litres water in boiler, then an all wash run. Wash is 9kg dextrose,
      turbo extra yeast made to 25 litres.

      We are using a twin valved reflux still modified as per Dr Legendre's
      suggetions, column is a bit longer and insulated. Distillate output
      tube has air wound 4 inch coil to cool output.

      Results. Water only, column sat at 92 degC, found a leak. Zero
      output. Discovered that mudwasp had blocked output tube with nest.
      Water and wash, found another leak. Cleaned up, repacked column with
      some extra packing as we had originally not purchased enough for
      longer column and did first run with all wash. Top of column temp at
      takeoff T sat at 72 deg C, rock solid, output was 94%. Turned reflux
      valve off so no reflux occuring. Output rate increased, but remained
      at 94%.

      Have we two unnecessary needle valves?

      Does anyone have a correction figure for ethanol hydrometer at 900
      metres above sea level?

      Cheers
      Phillipa
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
        brewingrulez wrote:
        Subject: [new_distillers] wood fired first runnings and some questions

        Does anyone have a correction figure for ethanol hydrometer at 900
        metres above sea level?
        ============================
        Gudday Phillipa,
        Not sure that any correction is required, though I'm happy to be corrected.
        Hydrometers work by measuring the density of the liquid they float in, and
        this shouldn't be affected by changes in air pressure.
        All the best,
        Mike N
      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
          Hello Phillipa,
          one brief comment re: your fire prevention measures. Unlike normal/usual
          fires, an ethanol fire is almost if not totally invisible!
          JHV