Re: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Phase angle power regulation

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 1, 2002

      al lewis wrote:
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Phase angle power regulation

      Hi John,
      I would go for a triac controller.
      Regfarding all the stuff on recently about Triac and how nasty things they are for for feeding hash into the mains let us not forget there are millions in use in homes across the world as light dimmers. These must comply to the requiered regulation??? if they dont how come so many are in use??
      The hash killer in them is a verry simple 'choke' i.e. a coil of wire wound on a ferrite core. If it works in them why not in a more powerful device?? [I am a licenced ham and understand about interfierence] also was an electronic tech for 20 odd years. Less
      scare mongering please. You can build or I'm sure get Triac controller for much less than you would pay for a 20Amp+ variac John. Its a much better choice in my humble opinion. So no lectures from people reading taxt books please. Kind regards Go for it John
      rom:
      ===============================
      Well Al, you may have been an electronic technician for 20 years, and be a licenced ham, so I am surprised that you believe that a simple ferrite core would adequately suppress a high power triac device.  It has been covered before on this list, in detail, and it was pointed out that light dimmers are low current devices that produce weak RFI.  Nevertheless, they require suppression, and a small ferrite core suffices (with a decoupling capacitor of course). Very much larger currents are involved in controllers that can handle the loads imposed by heater elements, and the RFI generated can be very much stronger than your amateur ham radio.  Zero crossing triggering and burst fire control eliminates most of this, leaving only a small amount of RFI to be dealt with.  Of course, an electronic technician of your experience will know the difference between phase angle control, as commonly used in light dimmers, and burst fire control, which is not.

      No lectures Al.  Just a few friendly comments from a hairy old electrical/electronic engineer, with 40 years of practical experience under his belt, and who writes the text books you don't like reading.  By the way, a quick search on Google for CENELEC will get you some interesting information about the regulations you mention.  More specifically, to save you time, look up IEC/EN61000-3-2 and IEC/EN61000-3-3.

      Mike Nixon
      CEng MIEE

    • al lewis
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 1, 2002
        Hi Tony, I'm sorry to say that I have reffled some very big birds feathers
        on this one. It was a pleasure and I have gained a lot
        from having been on your mailing list.
        I will now bow out gracefully and get off the list.let the super hero's let
        everybody know how EVERYTHING is done.[in their part of the woods]
        Kind regards to you. al