Mike, what about priming a thumper

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
      i just posted what is basically the same as tonys post which you then
      posted on. i posted before i had seen all the posts that had been
      going on yesterday.

      what about priming the thumper with high alcohol as Baker said he
      did. i have never done a thumper but thought it made perfect sense
      when i first read about them and condidered having multiple thumpers
      (then discovered pressure build up may be dangerous).
      i wouldnt think water needs to be in the thumper like tony mentioned.
      i would have thought you could leave the thumper in a bucket of water
      until the inlet tube is submerged in condensate. but what will happen
      if the thumper is primed with 95% alcohol?
    • Baker
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2002

        Man I love it when a message generates a lot of good feedback.

        My own thumper is a quart jar and is only about 7" tall. My condenser is in a 5gal bucket, so the outlet goes straight up about 10" makes a right angle turn and goes another 15" or so over to the inlet on the condenser. So Mikes therory seems to make sense for my setup. Of course Tonys explanation makes sense to me to, I don't know enough to argue with either one of them.

        On a completely different subject, Has anyone ever tried using diastatic malt syrup as an enzyme source for liquifaction?

         peter_vcb wrote:

        i just posted what is basically the same as tonys post which you then
        posted on. i posted before i had seen all the posts that had been
        going on yesterday.

        what about priming the thumper with high alcohol as Baker said he
        did. i have never done a thumper but thought it made perfect sense
        when i first read about them and condidered having multiple thumpers
        (then discovered pressure build up may be dangerous).
        i wouldnt think water needs to be in the thumper like tony mentioned.
        i would have thought you could leave the thumper in a bucket of water
        until the inlet tube is submerged in condensate. but what will happen
        if the thumper is primed with 95% alcohol?

        Do you Yahoo!?