RE: [new_distillers] pot still

  • Still Man
    Message 1 of 70 , Oct 1, 2002

      Yes - I only have white vinegar essence (seems to be double strength of 5% vinegar) to compare it to, and it's very similar. I thought maybe some had been left in the system after cleaning (although the smell was very powerful, and I had done a steam wash as well), but as I said, a pure alcohol came through fine, then the next wine had the smell ...

       Robert Stam wrote:

      Does it smell like white vinegar? Not wine or malt vinegar but spirit/white vinegar?

    • Rainero Morgia
      Message 70 of 70 , Aug 29, 2010
        in  reflux  distillation,  you  have  an  optimum  reflux  ratio...by  having  coils  or  spiral  column  and  depending  on  the  number  of  turns  and  height,  you  may  end  up  with  early  condensation  by  ambient  air,  or  it  might  take  a  while  to  collect  the  distillate  thus  consuming  more  power  or  heat  or  you  might  not  be  able  to  reach  the  right  temperature  for  condensation ....so  it's  not  advisable.  as  to  safety  issue,  vapor  pressure  is  very  low  for  alcohol (32mm),  so  as  long  as  you  have  an  outlet  its  safe...