Not a slobber box!

  • Stevensgang@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17 9:22 PM
      Tony! I think Dean is a lot closer to understanding a thump keg than
      some of the others. A slobber box just helps keep some of the unwanted
      junk out. A thumper is like well picture your 5 gal. kettle with a
      copper tube coming out of the top bending over and entering another 5
      gal. kettle with the tubing extending down into the second kettle until
      its a couple of inches from the bottom then another copper tube is
      coming out the top on the other side [of the top] which is your worm! I
      don't exactly understand how it works having never used one in the only
      2 times I've attempted to make a little moon. How it makes the final
      product any better I don't know. In my limited experience I found that
      after running the mash through once it did hold a bead but I must agree
      with Dean that when I ran it again to get a cleaner more pure distillate
      it would no longer 'hold a bead'. Not having a thermometer incorporated
      into my still . All I did after throwing away the heads was to keep
      checking it by catching a little in a metal spoon and seeing if it would
      light with a match. If it would'nt light anymore I stopped running it.
      My end product smelled pretty good but was a little harsh going down. Of
      course I didn't drink much of it was half afraid of it! But I think if I
      keep asking questions I will eventually figure this out. And hopefully
      be able to make good shine one of these days. Until the next time
      becareful!!!