Malt Extract - Beer Stripping Run...
- Well after two weeks of fermenting I could wait no longer and loaded
up the 'ole still with about half of the 5 gal batch.
This time I watch the temps very closely and found it to be quite
interesting (at least to me!) The temp went up to about 83c and
what I am assuming was the foreshots began to come out. There was a
hint of acetone and a drop tasted very bad. Then it jumped
dramaticly up to 94c and held there for quite a while - then to 95
and held - then to 96 and 97. I let it run to 98 and shut it down.
My organoleptic apparatus is very unsophisticated and I found it
difficult to detect what was going on. The distallate had very
different taste changes at each point - but it was hard to tell what
was going on.
There was a very distinct smell and flavor of the malt - the best
way I can describe it was a cross between canned black olives and
the breakfast cereal called grape-nuts (which I believe is made from
I posted a picture of my crude apparatus for you guys to poke fun
Tommorrow night I plan on running the stuff through again an
refining the product.
When it was all said and done I collected about 3/4 of a gallon of
low wines from the 5 gallon wash...
The first half that I ran I did get a boil over because I left the
heat too high - the second run I was more careful modulating the
heat and had no problem.