Malt Extract - Beer Stripping Run...

  • andy_galewsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2002
      Well after two weeks of fermenting I could wait no longer and loaded
      up the 'ole still with about half of the 5 gal batch.

      This time I watch the temps very closely and found it to be quite
      interesting (at least to me!) The temp went up to about 83c and
      what I am assuming was the foreshots began to come out. There was a
      hint of acetone and a drop tasted very bad. Then it jumped
      dramaticly up to 94c and held there for quite a while - then to 95
      and held - then to 96 and 97. I let it run to 98 and shut it down.

      My organoleptic apparatus is very unsophisticated and I found it
      difficult to detect what was going on. The distallate had very
      different taste changes at each point - but it was hard to tell what
      was going on.

      There was a very distinct smell and flavor of the malt - the best
      way I can describe it was a cross between canned black olives and
      the breakfast cereal called grape-nuts (which I believe is made from
      malted barley)

      I posted a picture of my crude apparatus for you guys to poke fun
      at...

      Tommorrow night I plan on running the stuff through again an
      refining the product.

      When it was all said and done I collected about 3/4 of a gallon of
      low wines from the 5 gallon wash...

      The first half that I ran I did get a boil over because I left the
      heat too high - the second run I was more careful modulating the
      heat and had no problem.