Re: [new_distillers] A Quantity question

  • Mike Seaney
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 6, 2001
      Oz,

      thanks again - I guess the wonderful heady aroma in the kitchen while
      I'm cooking is taking a goodly amount, especially over 12 hours or so.

      Regards.

      Mike
    • Johno Oz
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 7, 2001
        No mate, not the carboy.
        I meant sealing all your joints in your still.
        Remember. Any leak before your condenser allow alcohol to leave the system
        as a gas and disappear.(gotta light!) Angels share instead of your share.
        As far as temp is concerned the variation is the clincher. Keep it stable.
        and yes keep oxygen out towards the end. When your wash is fermenting
        violently then carboy leaks arent a problem as too much gas is coming out
        anyway but as she slows down to a crawl/stop then it should be airtight.
        Good luck
        Happy hooching
        Oz

        >From: Mike Seaney <Mike.Seaney@...>
        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] A Quantity question
        >Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 10:44:43 +0100
        >From sentto-468252-574-986636494-OzBrickie Sat Apr 07 02:43:32 2001
        >
        >Thanks to Oz, Ken and Jan for your replies,
        >
        >I can see I am definitely way off in the quantity line. the target now
        >is around 4 litres min. @95% per 22 litre wash.. So, if I may....
        >
        >Oz,
        >"seal test" - do you mean from this a leakage from the fermentation
        >bucket that is allowing
        > oxygen in, or have you something else in mind ?
        >Temperature- This may be it - the yeast instructions say for max.
        >alcohol, keep temp between
        > 19-23 deg. but I have had some problems keeping it
        >constant. I have just rigged
        > my latest batch with an internal heater thermostat
        >so we shall see
        >Ken,
        >Stuck fermentation
        > - I'm not sure quite what you mean.
        > my earlier batches were were down to around 990-1000
        >but I did not get a
        > starting point. the latest, and worse, started at
        >1120 but would not go below
        > 1010. Also, As you seem to be using the same yeast,
        >what sugar quantity do you
        > use, what temp do you run to and how long does it
        >take to clear down ?
        >Jan, Should I be looking to vary the sugar volumes dependant
        >on temperatures. ?
        >
        >Thanks again
        >
        >Mike

      • janpam ooms
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 7, 2001
          Mike,i dont think you should change the amount of sugar you use as the yeast
          uses up only the sugar it needs as far as i know. you better start looking
          at better temperature control during fermentation. I have just finished
          another batch. 6 kg of sugar,high temp yeast and 25 litres of water.
          results:4 litres of 80%.2 litres of shit, high and low temp alcohol, which i
          keep for a second distillation. Keep up the good work. Jan.