Re: [new_distillers] Re: making "cointreau"

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5 7:03 PM
      bourbon isn't a difficult drink to make. Just use some of the artificial
      aging methods to speed things up. Heating and cooling the spirit while in
      contact with the wood in fairly rapid cycles speeds things up (one hot cool
      cycle is equivalent to one day of aging). Bubbling air through the spirit
      also has been shown to help. By the way, here's a good recipe to try- 50%
      corn, 30%rye, 20% 6row barley- just brew an all grain style batch of beer
      without adding hops. If you have no interest or knowledge about all grain
      brewing try this: Boil for 1 hour in 2.5gallons of water: 3/4 lb of yellow
      cornmeal and 1/4lb flaked rye. After this boiling time add in ten pounds of
      sugar and stir until it dissolves, then add another 2 gallons of cool water
      to it to bring the temp down fast, then pitch your yeast. Sourdough bread
      yeast is good for this recipe. After it's done, pour it through a window
      screen (or something similar) to catch the grain and prevent it from getting
      in the still, then run it to about 70 to 80%abv. age it and water it down
      however you like.
    • Kev
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5 7:35 PM
        Thanks! That's what I love about all this, there's always something
        new to learn - and taste!

        I'll try your suggestions out. I think the main problem I have with
        bourbon essences is the burnt sugar taste they all seem to have. I'd
        rather have a drink that tasted like bourbon and not necessarily
        looked like it. I wouldn't care if it was bright green as long as it
        tasted OK!

        Kev.