Re: making "cointreau"

  • Kev
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2001
      > >Recently Lynn mentioned an interested in Cointreau. I have had
      success
      > >making orange essence as follows:

      Thanks for that, Tom - I'm off to get a couple of good oranges this
      weekend :-)

      >As for "not exactly cointreau", after
      > the success of the homemade gin essence I quickly discarded the
      notion that
      > whatever I made had to be an exact replica of a commercial product
      to be
      > any good.

      Yep, I'm with you all the way on that one, Lynne. If it tastes good,
      drink it! You can see the family resemblance between commercial gin
      and the stuff produced with that other recipe, but the home made
      stuff is much, much tastier. I'm looking forward to trying this new
      recipe, too.

      For me, the missing poison is bourbon. I must have tried every
      bourbon essence on the market and the best I've come up with so far
      is the Jack Daniels soaker chips. Maybe I'm just too impatiant to let
      the flavours develop properly...

      Kev.
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2001
        bourbon isn't a difficult drink to make. Just use some of the artificial
        aging methods to speed things up. Heating and cooling the spirit while in
        contact with the wood in fairly rapid cycles speeds things up (one hot cool
        cycle is equivalent to one day of aging). Bubbling air through the spirit
        also has been shown to help. By the way, here's a good recipe to try- 50%
        corn, 30%rye, 20% 6row barley- just brew an all grain style batch of beer
        without adding hops. If you have no interest or knowledge about all grain
        brewing try this: Boil for 1 hour in 2.5gallons of water: 3/4 lb of yellow
        cornmeal and 1/4lb flaked rye. After this boiling time add in ten pounds of
        sugar and stir until it dissolves, then add another 2 gallons of cool water
        to it to bring the temp down fast, then pitch your yeast. Sourdough bread
        yeast is good for this recipe. After it's done, pour it through a window
        screen (or something similar) to catch the grain and prevent it from getting
        in the still, then run it to about 70 to 80%abv. age it and water it down
        however you like.
      • Kev
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2001
          Thanks! That's what I love about all this, there's always something
          new to learn - and taste!

          I'll try your suggestions out. I think the main problem I have with
          bourbon essences is the burnt sugar taste they all seem to have. I'd
          rather have a drink that tasted like bourbon and not necessarily
          looked like it. I wouldn't care if it was bright green as long as it
          tasted OK!

          Kev.