Re: [Distillers] peat substitute.

  • Dick
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2002
      In message <20020926024716.68235.qmail@...>, cameron
      wright <damadrussian@...> writes
      >Hello all.
      >I have an idea. Could dried spagnum moss be used as a
      >peat substitute? (when drying grain, i.e barley) I was
      >considering it. And would like some feed back.
      >Cameron
      Hi Cameron,

      Don't think it would have the same flavouring effect that peat
      does, if you've ever been down wind of a peat fire you'll know what I
      mean. Peat is made up of the decayed remains of many different plants
      that have had years to mature in a damp, acid environment, spagnum moss
      is a single plant and although I must have burnt it in the past I don't
      recall any memorable smell.

      Spagnum moss was/is also used as natural antiseptic dressing for
      wounds so it might also have a go at our yeasts. Well at least you wash
      will be clean, no alcohol though ........... !!!!!
      --
      Dick