Re: [new_distillers] Moonshine 'Bill

  • Dean Watts
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17 1:20 PM
      Fair comment Tony. I am one who has been guilty of sitting back and letting
      others do all the replying.
      As for holding a bead I tried this in the weekend as I distilled a good
      batch of 91% distillate which has very little smell or tast strait out of
      the still and I can tell you that it doesn't "hold a bead" but will be damn
      good drinking. It seems to me that the purer the ethanol the faster the
      bubbles on the top disapear. (if I try it with 40% Watered down spirit the
      bubbles seem to last longer).

      I would like to see this thump keg setup up and running. It sounds like it
      would look quite impressive but I reakon it would only improve the end
      product slightly as it seems to be double distilling the wash in the first
      kettle by adding its output to the second wash in steam form but without a
      teperature control on the first kettle you are also taking the methanol and
      the higher alcahols and fussils to the second wash. It may be efficient as
      the steam out put from the first kettle is been used to heat the second
      kettle (wouldnt the heat of the steam from the first ketle have to be about
      100 degrees though) but I cant see that the quality would be improved much.
      (I am going solely from your decription on this so I may be right off the
      case)

      My understanding of Ethanol is that Ethanol is Ethanol but unfortunately we
      dont and cant achieve pure Ethanol from even our best stills. Any sweetness
      carried through to the output must therfore be coming through in the non
      pure portion. Therfore adding sugar just before distilling I think would add
      sweetness and maybe body to a distillate if you are using a pot still but
      the effects should be reduced the better the still is with higher purities
      of Ethanol and less of anything else. I am currently getting 91% So any
      flavour (and Smell) must be in the 9% that is not ethanol. This is my
      understanding of it anyway.

      Cheers

      Dean Watts