making Jaegermeister

  • Brad McMahon
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2001
      From: <ups474@...>

      > According to commercial literature, Jagermeister is a bitters not a liqueur,
      > and it has:
      > anise, poppy seed, juniper, and ginseng in it

      Woah! That shouldn't be too hard to reproduce.
      I was getting close(ish) with sarsparilla and gin.. ok.. maybe mix
      gin, sarsparilla cordial, star of anise and ginseng.. sounds great
      already.

      > My one experiment shows that
      > poppy seeds leave an oily residue on the surface of the alcohol they are
      > soaked in. I hope this ingredient list may help- Good luck!

      I would guess that straining it through a coffee filter might leave the oil
      behind.

      Zum wohl!

      Brad
    • Lynne
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2001
        At 04:46 PM 4/5/01 +0930, Brad wrote:

        >Just as an experiment I mixed sarsaparilla cordial with gin to see if
        >I could get close. I didn't but it was a damn fine drink that somewhat
        >resembled Jaegermeister if you hadn't had it for a long time and
        >forgotten what it tasted like and you were half cut to begin with.
        >:^)
        >Sarsaparilla cordial might be a good starting base... anyone with
        >any further ideas?
        >I could experiment further but I've got to drive soon!

        Well, about all I could think of as a starting point was a bottle of
        high-octane cough syrup. ;)

        Lynne