making Jaegermeister

  • Brad McMahon
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2001
      From: "Lynne" <ellemm@...>

      > I don't suppose anyone has a recipe for something resembling jagermeister
      > ... ? If I get that, I'll have my 3 pet 'poisons' covered; or 4, if you
      > count vodka ...

      Gee I wish I did, or I wish someone made an essence for it.
      I would say it would be fairly difficult to do as I imagine the
      ingredients would be a secret.
      Even if you did know the ingredients getting all the obscure herbs
      would be a nightmare.

      Just as an experiment I mixed sarsaparilla cordial with gin to see if
      I could get close. I didn't but it was a damn fine drink that somewhat
      resembled Jaegermeister if you hadn't had it for a long time and
      forgotten what it tasted like and you were half cut to begin with.
      :^)
      Sarsaparilla cordial might be a good starting base... anyone with
      any further ideas?
      I could experiment further but I've got to drive soon!
    • Brad McMahon
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2001
        From: <ups474@...>

        > According to commercial literature, Jagermeister is a bitters not a liqueur,
        > and it has:
        > anise, poppy seed, juniper, and ginseng in it

        Woah! That shouldn't be too hard to reproduce.
        I was getting close(ish) with sarsparilla and gin.. ok.. maybe mix
        gin, sarsparilla cordial, star of anise and ginseng.. sounds great
        already.

        > My one experiment shows that
        > poppy seeds leave an oily residue on the surface of the alcohol they are
        > soaked in. I hope this ingredient list may help- Good luck!

        I would guess that straining it through a coffee filter might leave the oil
        behind.

        Zum wohl!

        Brad
      • Lynne
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2001
          At 04:46 PM 4/5/01 +0930, Brad wrote:

          >Just as an experiment I mixed sarsaparilla cordial with gin to see if
          >I could get close. I didn't but it was a damn fine drink that somewhat
          >resembled Jaegermeister if you hadn't had it for a long time and
          >forgotten what it tasted like and you were half cut to begin with.
          >:^)
          >Sarsaparilla cordial might be a good starting base... anyone with
          >any further ideas?
          >I could experiment further but I've got to drive soon!

          Well, about all I could think of as a starting point was a bottle of
          high-octane cough syrup. ;)

          Lynne