Re: [new_distillers] making "cointreau"

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2001
      According to commercial literature, Jagermeister is a bitters not a liqueur,
      and it has:
      anise, poppy seed, juniper, and ginseng in it (Spirits &Cocktails, Dave
      Broom, Carlton publishing, 1998) What amounts these are in, or if there is
      anything else, I don't know. Another unknown is the base spirit used to make
      it (brandy, grain alcohol, rum, etc). I tried a while ago, but after a nasty
      Jager-inspired hangover, I no longer drink it. My one experiment shows that
      poppy seeds leave an oily residue on the surface of the alcohol they are
      soaked in. I hope this ingredient list may help- Good luck!
    • Kev
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2001
        > >Recently Lynn mentioned an interested in Cointreau. I have had
        success
        > >making orange essence as follows:

        Thanks for that, Tom - I'm off to get a couple of good oranges this
        weekend :-)

        >As for "not exactly cointreau", after
        > the success of the homemade gin essence I quickly discarded the
        notion that
        > whatever I made had to be an exact replica of a commercial product
        to be
        > any good.

        Yep, I'm with you all the way on that one, Lynne. If it tastes good,
        drink it! You can see the family resemblance between commercial gin
        and the stuff produced with that other recipe, but the home made
        stuff is much, much tastier. I'm looking forward to trying this new
        recipe, too.

        For me, the missing poison is bourbon. I must have tried every
        bourbon essence on the market and the best I've come up with so far
        is the Jack Daniels soaker chips. Maybe I'm just too impatiant to let
        the flavours develop properly...

        Kev.
      • ups474@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2001
          bourbon isn't a difficult drink to make. Just use some of the artificial
          aging methods to speed things up. Heating and cooling the spirit while in
          contact with the wood in fairly rapid cycles speeds things up (one hot cool
          cycle is equivalent to one day of aging). Bubbling air through the spirit
          also has been shown to help. By the way, here's a good recipe to try- 50%
          corn, 30%rye, 20% 6row barley- just brew an all grain style batch of beer
          without adding hops. If you have no interest or knowledge about all grain
          brewing try this: Boil for 1 hour in 2.5gallons of water: 3/4 lb of yellow
          cornmeal and 1/4lb flaked rye. After this boiling time add in ten pounds of
          sugar and stir until it dissolves, then add another 2 gallons of cool water
          to it to bring the temp down fast, then pitch your yeast. Sourdough bread
          yeast is good for this recipe. After it's done, pour it through a window
          screen (or something similar) to catch the grain and prevent it from getting
          in the still, then run it to about 70 to 80%abv. age it and water it down
          however you like.
        • Kev
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2001
            Thanks! That's what I love about all this, there's always something
            new to learn - and taste!

            I'll try your suggestions out. I think the main problem I have with
            bourbon essences is the burnt sugar taste they all seem to have. I'd
            rather have a drink that tasted like bourbon and not necessarily
            looked like it. I wouldn't care if it was bright green as long as it
            tasted OK!

            Kev.