Re: [new_distillers] making "cointreau"

  • Lynne
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2001
      At 12:24 PM 4/4/01 -0600, you wrote:
      >Howdy-
      >
      >I'm new in these parts, but not to this mad pursuit. I look forward to many
      >future exchanges.
      >
      >Recently Lynn mentioned an interested in Cointreau. I have had success
      >making orange essence as follows:

      Thanks for this - coincidentally I have a fresh supply of 85% downstairs,
      so am looking forward to trying it. As for "not exactly cointreau", after
      the success of the homemade gin essence I quickly discarded the notion that
      whatever I made had to be an exact replica of a commercial product to be
      any good.

      I don't suppose anyone has a recipe for something resembling jagermeister
      ... ? If I get that, I'll have my 3 pet 'poisons' covered; or 4, if you
      count vodka ...

      Cheers,
      Lynne
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2001
        According to commercial literature, Jagermeister is a bitters not a liqueur,
        and it has:
        anise, poppy seed, juniper, and ginseng in it (Spirits &Cocktails, Dave
        Broom, Carlton publishing, 1998) What amounts these are in, or if there is
        anything else, I don't know. Another unknown is the base spirit used to make
        it (brandy, grain alcohol, rum, etc). I tried a while ago, but after a nasty
        Jager-inspired hangover, I no longer drink it. My one experiment shows that
        poppy seeds leave an oily residue on the surface of the alcohol they are
        soaked in. I hope this ingredient list may help- Good luck!
      • Kev
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2001
          > >Recently Lynn mentioned an interested in Cointreau. I have had
          success
          > >making orange essence as follows:

          Thanks for that, Tom - I'm off to get a couple of good oranges this
          weekend :-)

          >As for "not exactly cointreau", after
          > the success of the homemade gin essence I quickly discarded the
          notion that
          > whatever I made had to be an exact replica of a commercial product
          to be
          > any good.

          Yep, I'm with you all the way on that one, Lynne. If it tastes good,
          drink it! You can see the family resemblance between commercial gin
          and the stuff produced with that other recipe, but the home made
          stuff is much, much tastier. I'm looking forward to trying this new
          recipe, too.

          For me, the missing poison is bourbon. I must have tried every
          bourbon essence on the market and the best I've come up with so far
          is the Jack Daniels soaker chips. Maybe I'm just too impatiant to let
          the flavours develop properly...

          Kev.
        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2001
            bourbon isn't a difficult drink to make. Just use some of the artificial
            aging methods to speed things up. Heating and cooling the spirit while in
            contact with the wood in fairly rapid cycles speeds things up (one hot cool
            cycle is equivalent to one day of aging). Bubbling air through the spirit
            also has been shown to help. By the way, here's a good recipe to try- 50%
            corn, 30%rye, 20% 6row barley- just brew an all grain style batch of beer
            without adding hops. If you have no interest or knowledge about all grain
            brewing try this: Boil for 1 hour in 2.5gallons of water: 3/4 lb of yellow
            cornmeal and 1/4lb flaked rye. After this boiling time add in ten pounds of
            sugar and stir until it dissolves, then add another 2 gallons of cool water
            to it to bring the temp down fast, then pitch your yeast. Sourdough bread
            yeast is good for this recipe. After it's done, pour it through a window
            screen (or something similar) to catch the grain and prevent it from getting
            in the still, then run it to about 70 to 80%abv. age it and water it down
            however you like.
          • Kev
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 5, 2001
              Thanks! That's what I love about all this, there's always something
              new to learn - and taste!

              I'll try your suggestions out. I think the main problem I have with
              bourbon essences is the burnt sugar taste they all seem to have. I'd
              rather have a drink that tasted like bourbon and not necessarily
              looked like it. I wouldn't care if it was bright green as long as it
              tasted OK!

              Kev.