Re: [new_distillers] A Quantity question

  • Johno Oz
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2001
      Quote from Tony's site
      "How much alcohol can you expect to make, knowing how much sugar you put in
      ? Easy. The theoretical yield is 51.1%, but you will get less than this,
      around 48% because you lose some of the sugars to forming the small amounts
      of other alcohols, esters, etc (eg 0.48 L of ethanol for every 1 kg sugar).
      All going well, you should be able to capture approx 90% of this, ie 43%. So
      ... for say 5 kg of sugar, you should be able to get 0.43 x 5 = 2.15 L of
      pure ethanol. "

      4.5 litres.How do you do it? Even at the theoretical limit its close to 4.1
      litres @100% . Please correct me if my mathematics is wrong as Im only a
      newbie. Do you Step Up to 9kg?
      Speaking of stuck ferments, thats a major problem down here as the temp
      consistantly drops to below 18 C over night.
      Hehehe 3 weeks ago we were trying to keep her cool!

      Oz

      >From: "klcampbell" <klcampbell@...>
      >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] A Quantity question
      >Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:48:59 +1000
      >
      >Mike,use your hydrometer to confirm that you have not got a stuck
      >fermentation.I usually get 9.1Lts.@ an average of 93+% from 50 Lts.of wash
      >using Turbo 8 yeast in 2 x 25Lt.wort The S.G. should be .980.Regards Ken.

    • janpam ooms
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2001
        My results from 8 kg of sugar and a turbo yeast in 25 litres of water
        resulted always in approx 5 litres of 80% alcohol consistently.In the hotter
        months i use the hi temp yeast with 6 kg of sugar and i get about 4.5 litres
        of 78-80 % alcohol. May be i have a lucky streak. just keep trying. Regards
        Jan.

        >From: "Johno Oz" <OzBrickie@...>
        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] A Quantity question
        >Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 08:59:25 -0000
        >

        >Gidday mate
        >Im no expert but I got results along those lines too until I did a proper
        >seal test. Geez I reckon the angels got quite a lot the first few times.
        >Beware the angels share
        >
        >Oz
        >
        > >From: Mike Seaney <Mike.Seaney@...>
        > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [new_distillers] A Quantity question
        > >Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 21:36:22 +0100
        > >
        > >Ladies & Gents
        > >I'm not one to get in the middle of the tubes at the top or tubes
        > >anywhere else debate, I have tried both now and I have a simple reflux
        > >design (no needle valves) and I seem to get 94-95% no problems, but my
        > >question is one of product quantity.
        > >The best I have ever done is 2 1/2 litres of spirit from a 20 litre
        > >mash. From some reading up I gather this is about 50% of possible max.
        > >and that 70% is a reasonable amount to expect, but I have had as little
        > >as 1 decent litre and a 1/4 ltr of heads/tails. Any suggestions
        > >I personally think I have a fermentation problem but I'm not at all
        > >sure.
        > >I am using what is supposed to be a high yield turbo, 8 kg of sugar with
        > >a temp of around 22-24 degrees which is supposed to yield 18-20% alcohol
        > >- If fermentation is the problem area then I am probably getting 10% or
        > >so
        > >Regards
        > >Mike

      • Mike Seaney
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6, 2001
          Thanks to Oz, Ken and Jan for your replies,

          I can see I am definitely way off in the quantity line. the target now
          is around 4 litres min. @95% per 22 litre wash.. So, if I may....

          Oz,
          "seal test" - do you mean from this a leakage from the fermentation
          bucket that is allowing
          oxygen in, or have you something else in mind ?
          Temperature- This may be it - the yeast instructions say for max.
          alcohol, keep temp between
          19-23 deg. but I have had some problems keeping it
          constant. I have just rigged
          my latest batch with an internal heater thermostat
          so we shall see
          Ken,
          Stuck fermentation
          - I'm not sure quite what you mean.
          my earlier batches were were down to around 990-1000
          but I did not get a
          starting point. the latest, and worse, started at
          1120 but would not go below
          1010. Also, As you seem to be using the same yeast,
          what sugar quantity do you
          use, what temp do you run to and how long does it
          take to clear down ?
          Jan, Should I be looking to vary the sugar volumes dependant
          on temperatures. ?

          Thanks again

          Mike
        • Mike Seaney
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2001
            Oz,

            thanks again - I guess the wonderful heady aroma in the kitchen while
            I'm cooking is taking a goodly amount, especially over 12 hours or so.

            Regards.

            Mike
          • Johno Oz
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 7, 2001
              No mate, not the carboy.
              I meant sealing all your joints in your still.
              Remember. Any leak before your condenser allow alcohol to leave the system
              as a gas and disappear.(gotta light!) Angels share instead of your share.
              As far as temp is concerned the variation is the clincher. Keep it stable.
              and yes keep oxygen out towards the end. When your wash is fermenting
              violently then carboy leaks arent a problem as too much gas is coming out
              anyway but as she slows down to a crawl/stop then it should be airtight.
              Good luck
              Happy hooching
              Oz

              >From: Mike Seaney <Mike.Seaney@...>
              >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] A Quantity question
              >Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 10:44:43 +0100
              >From sentto-468252-574-986636494-OzBrickie Sat Apr 07 02:43:32 2001
              >
              >Thanks to Oz, Ken and Jan for your replies,
              >
              >I can see I am definitely way off in the quantity line. the target now
              >is around 4 litres min. @95% per 22 litre wash.. So, if I may....
              >
              >Oz,
              >"seal test" - do you mean from this a leakage from the fermentation
              >bucket that is allowing
              > oxygen in, or have you something else in mind ?
              >Temperature- This may be it - the yeast instructions say for max.
              >alcohol, keep temp between
              > 19-23 deg. but I have had some problems keeping it
              >constant. I have just rigged
              > my latest batch with an internal heater thermostat
              >so we shall see
              >Ken,
              >Stuck fermentation
              > - I'm not sure quite what you mean.
              > my earlier batches were were down to around 990-1000
              >but I did not get a
              > starting point. the latest, and worse, started at
              >1120 but would not go below
              > 1010. Also, As you seem to be using the same yeast,
              >what sugar quantity do you
              > use, what temp do you run to and how long does it
              >take to clear down ?
              >Jan, Should I be looking to vary the sugar volumes dependant
              >on temperatures. ?
              >
              >Thanks again
              >
              >Mike

            • janpam ooms
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 7, 2001
                Mike,i dont think you should change the amount of sugar you use as the yeast
                uses up only the sugar it needs as far as i know. you better start looking
                at better temperature control during fermentation. I have just finished
                another batch. 6 kg of sugar,high temp yeast and 25 litres of water.
                results:4 litres of 80%.2 litres of shit, high and low temp alcohol, which i
                keep for a second distillation. Keep up the good work. Jan.