Re: [new_distillers] A Quantity question

  • Johno Oz
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2001
      Oh re: fermentation . Keep your temp up (25 C) AND constant.

      Oz

      >From: Mike Seaney <Mike.Seaney@...>
      >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [new_distillers] A Quantity question
      >Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 21:36:22 +0100
      >
      >Ladies & Gents
      >I'm not one to get in the middle of the tubes at the top or tubes
      >anywhere else debate, I have tried both now and I have a simple reflux
      >design (no needle valves) and I seem to get 94-95% no problems, but my
      >question is one of product quantity.
      >The best I have ever done is 2 1/2 litres of spirit from a 20 litre
      >mash. From some reading up I gather this is about 50% of possible max.
      >and that 70% is a reasonable amount to expect, but I have had as little
      >as 1 decent litre and a 1/4 ltr of heads/tails. Any suggestions
      >I personally think I have a fermentation problem but I'm not at all
      >sure.
      >I am using what is supposed to be a high yield turbo, 8 kg of sugar with
      >a temp of around 22-24 degrees which is supposed to yield 18-20% alcohol
      >- If fermentation is the problem area then I am probably getting 10% or
      >so
      >Regards
      >Mike

    • klcampbell
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2001
        Mike,use your hydrometer to confirm that you have not got a stuck
        fermentation.I usually get 9.1Lts.@ an average of 93+% from 50 Lts.of wash
        using Turbo 8 yeast in 2 x 25Lt.wort The S.G. should be .980.Regards Ken.
        > I'm not one to get in the middle of the tubes at the top or tubes
        > anywhere else debate, I have tried both now and I have a simple reflux
        > design (no needle valves) and I seem to get 94-95% no problems, but my
        > question is one of product quantity.
        > The best I have ever done is 2 1/2 litres of spirit from a 20 litre
        > mash. From some reading up I gather this is about 50% of possible max.
        > and that 70% is a reasonable amount to expect, but I have had as little
        > as 1 decent litre and a 1/4 ltr of heads/tails. Any suggestions
        > I personally think I have a fermentation problem but I'm not at all
        > sure.
        > I am using what is supposed to be a high yield turbo, 8 kg of sugar with
        > a temp of around 22-24 degrees which is supposed to yield 18-20% alcohol
        > - If fermentation is the problem area then I am probably getting 10% or
        > so
        > Regards
        > Mike

      • Johno Oz
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2001
          Quote from Tony's site
          "How much alcohol can you expect to make, knowing how much sugar you put in
          ? Easy. The theoretical yield is 51.1%, but you will get less than this,
          around 48% because you lose some of the sugars to forming the small amounts
          of other alcohols, esters, etc (eg 0.48 L of ethanol for every 1 kg sugar).
          All going well, you should be able to capture approx 90% of this, ie 43%. So
          ... for say 5 kg of sugar, you should be able to get 0.43 x 5 = 2.15 L of
          pure ethanol. "

          4.5 litres.How do you do it? Even at the theoretical limit its close to 4.1
          litres @100% . Please correct me if my mathematics is wrong as Im only a
          newbie. Do you Step Up to 9kg?
          Speaking of stuck ferments, thats a major problem down here as the temp
          consistantly drops to below 18 C over night.
          Hehehe 3 weeks ago we were trying to keep her cool!

          Oz

          >From: "klcampbell" <klcampbell@...>
          >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] A Quantity question
          >Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:48:59 +1000
          >
          >Mike,use your hydrometer to confirm that you have not got a stuck
          >fermentation.I usually get 9.1Lts.@ an average of 93+% from 50 Lts.of wash
          >using Turbo 8 yeast in 2 x 25Lt.wort The S.G. should be .980.Regards Ken.

        • janpam ooms
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5, 2001
            My results from 8 kg of sugar and a turbo yeast in 25 litres of water
            resulted always in approx 5 litres of 80% alcohol consistently.In the hotter
            months i use the hi temp yeast with 6 kg of sugar and i get about 4.5 litres
            of 78-80 % alcohol. May be i have a lucky streak. just keep trying. Regards
            Jan.

            >From: "Johno Oz" <OzBrickie@...>
            >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] A Quantity question
            >Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 08:59:25 -0000
            >

            >Gidday mate
            >Im no expert but I got results along those lines too until I did a proper
            >seal test. Geez I reckon the angels got quite a lot the first few times.
            >Beware the angels share
            >
            >Oz
            >
            > >From: Mike Seaney <Mike.Seaney@...>
            > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: [new_distillers] A Quantity question
            > >Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 21:36:22 +0100
            > >
            > >Ladies & Gents
            > >I'm not one to get in the middle of the tubes at the top or tubes
            > >anywhere else debate, I have tried both now and I have a simple reflux
            > >design (no needle valves) and I seem to get 94-95% no problems, but my
            > >question is one of product quantity.
            > >The best I have ever done is 2 1/2 litres of spirit from a 20 litre
            > >mash. From some reading up I gather this is about 50% of possible max.
            > >and that 70% is a reasonable amount to expect, but I have had as little
            > >as 1 decent litre and a 1/4 ltr of heads/tails. Any suggestions
            > >I personally think I have a fermentation problem but I'm not at all
            > >sure.
            > >I am using what is supposed to be a high yield turbo, 8 kg of sugar with
            > >a temp of around 22-24 degrees which is supposed to yield 18-20% alcohol
            > >- If fermentation is the problem area then I am probably getting 10% or
            > >so
            > >Regards
            > >Mike

          • Mike Seaney
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2001
              Thanks to Oz, Ken and Jan for your replies,

              I can see I am definitely way off in the quantity line. the target now
              is around 4 litres min. @95% per 22 litre wash.. So, if I may....

              Oz,
              "seal test" - do you mean from this a leakage from the fermentation
              bucket that is allowing
              oxygen in, or have you something else in mind ?
              Temperature- This may be it - the yeast instructions say for max.
              alcohol, keep temp between
              19-23 deg. but I have had some problems keeping it
              constant. I have just rigged
              my latest batch with an internal heater thermostat
              so we shall see
              Ken,
              Stuck fermentation
              - I'm not sure quite what you mean.
              my earlier batches were were down to around 990-1000
              but I did not get a
              starting point. the latest, and worse, started at
              1120 but would not go below
              1010. Also, As you seem to be using the same yeast,
              what sugar quantity do you
              use, what temp do you run to and how long does it
              take to clear down ?
              Jan, Should I be looking to vary the sugar volumes dependant
              on temperatures. ?

              Thanks again

              Mike
            • Mike Seaney
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2001
                Oz,

                thanks again - I guess the wonderful heady aroma in the kitchen while
                I'm cooking is taking a goodly amount, especially over 12 hours or so.

                Regards.

                Mike
              • Johno Oz
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 7, 2001
                  No mate, not the carboy.
                  I meant sealing all your joints in your still.
                  Remember. Any leak before your condenser allow alcohol to leave the system
                  as a gas and disappear.(gotta light!) Angels share instead of your share.
                  As far as temp is concerned the variation is the clincher. Keep it stable.
                  and yes keep oxygen out towards the end. When your wash is fermenting
                  violently then carboy leaks arent a problem as too much gas is coming out
                  anyway but as she slows down to a crawl/stop then it should be airtight.
                  Good luck
                  Happy hooching
                  Oz

                  >From: Mike Seaney <Mike.Seaney@...>
                  >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] A Quantity question
                  >Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 10:44:43 +0100
                  >From sentto-468252-574-986636494-OzBrickie Sat Apr 07 02:43:32 2001
                  >
                  >Thanks to Oz, Ken and Jan for your replies,
                  >
                  >I can see I am definitely way off in the quantity line. the target now
                  >is around 4 litres min. @95% per 22 litre wash.. So, if I may....
                  >
                  >Oz,
                  >"seal test" - do you mean from this a leakage from the fermentation
                  >bucket that is allowing
                  > oxygen in, or have you something else in mind ?
                  >Temperature- This may be it - the yeast instructions say for max.
                  >alcohol, keep temp between
                  > 19-23 deg. but I have had some problems keeping it
                  >constant. I have just rigged
                  > my latest batch with an internal heater thermostat
                  >so we shall see
                  >Ken,
                  >Stuck fermentation
                  > - I'm not sure quite what you mean.
                  > my earlier batches were were down to around 990-1000
                  >but I did not get a
                  > starting point. the latest, and worse, started at
                  >1120 but would not go below
                  > 1010. Also, As you seem to be using the same yeast,
                  >what sugar quantity do you
                  > use, what temp do you run to and how long does it
                  >take to clear down ?
                  >Jan, Should I be looking to vary the sugar volumes dependant
                  >on temperatures. ?
                  >
                  >Thanks again
                  >
                  >Mike

                • janpam ooms
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 7, 2001
                    Mike,i dont think you should change the amount of sugar you use as the yeast
                    uses up only the sugar it needs as far as i know. you better start looking
                    at better temperature control during fermentation. I have just finished
                    another batch. 6 kg of sugar,high temp yeast and 25 litres of water.
                    results:4 litres of 80%.2 litres of shit, high and low temp alcohol, which i
                    keep for a second distillation. Keep up the good work. Jan.