cloudy mash

  • Richard Carruthers
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2002

      I have recently started my first 5 gallon batch of a malt/corn meal/corn sugar mash.

      After a few days of fermentation, the liquid is quite cloudy,...is this normal and can I expect it to clear a bit by the end of the fermentation stage?

      -R-

    • peter_vcb
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2002
        yep it should be cloudy even if it was a pure sugar water brew. it is
        just the yeast multiplying in the brew. when it is finished it will
        clear. you may have some problems since it is a grain mash but you
        can use finings or filter, or just not bother clearing and distill as
        is
      • Richard Carruthers
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26, 2002

          >From: "peter_vcb"
          >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: cloudy mash
          >Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:29:37 -0000
          >
          >yep it should be cloudy even if it was a pure sugar water brew. it is
          >just the yeast multiplying in the brew. when it is finished it will
          >clear. you may have some problems since it is a grain mash but you
          >can use finings or filter, or just not bother clearing and distill as
          >is

          After the bubbling died off and it sat for a few days, it did clear up some. Right now the contents of my fermenter bucket have been siphoned into several white plastic jugs with screw on caps...it has what I suppose is the appropriate sour taste and the colour/clarity of a pot of well brewed tea. Not sure how to describe the smell,...it's not offensive, which I assume is a good thing. 8-)

          Currently waiting for buddy to reurn my thermometer so I can finish the process.