Re: Why cool the reflux column?

  • grot2@excite.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
      Daniel wrote:

      >Why pass the condenser cooling water *through* the column? It seems
      >that this would mess up the reflux "plate" arrangement.

      You have it right. Cooling the column is misguided. I don't know how
      the idea started.

      The best plan is to have the reflux enter the top of the column at
      boiling. Cooling anywhere other than in the condenser, or cooling the
      reflux below boiling, is a) a waste of energy, and/or b) detrimental
      to output quality.

      Grot