Why cool the reflux column?

  • gomeral@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2001
      Perhaps some of you running reflux columns can answer this: Why pass
      the condenser cooling water *through* the column? It seems that this
      would mess up the reflux "plate" arrangement. If you wanted to 'cap'
      the column to allow for total reflux, could you not just have a coil
      or some other separately controlled cooling device at the top of the
      column, just below the vapor take-off? "Preheating" the cooling
      water seems like a bad idea, and I can't see why the water should
      pass through the *bottom* of the column, at least...

      Thanks,

      daniel
    • grot2@excite.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
        Daniel wrote:

        >Why pass the condenser cooling water *through* the column? It seems
        >that this would mess up the reflux "plate" arrangement.

        You have it right. Cooling the column is misguided. I don't know how
        the idea started.

        The best plan is to have the reflux enter the top of the column at
        boiling. Cooling anywhere other than in the condenser, or cooling the
        reflux below boiling, is a) a waste of energy, and/or b) detrimental
        to output quality.

        Grot