Re: Gin essence

  • Kev
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
      Thanks, guys! We're big gin fans too and I'll be trying out this
      recipe myself. It was on my list of "things to do" but I've been too
      busy playing with my column recently.

      Lynn, another thing you said was about the re-distilling comments in
      the N/S book. I think the idea here is to remove the colour from the
      home-made essence. If this isn't an issue for you, I think you can
      happily skip it.

      I find Moore Wilson a great shop for getting herbs, spices and sugar
      in quantity and very good quality. I'm not sure where you are in NZ,
      but they're based in and around Wellington, plus Masterton, if this
      is of any use to you.

      Cheers!

      Kev.
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
        don't bother with steam distillation as the nixon/stone book advises-
        instead just add the botanicals listed to 350 ml of vodka and boil them in a
        sauce pan on the stovetop for ten minutes, then cool over night, then filter
        out the solids- use this brownish liquid like any other extract (5 to 10ml
        per bottle depending on how strong you like your gin). The saucepan's lid
        should be put on the pan upside down so the little deppression on the lid's
        underside can be filled with ice and water to prevent the alcohol from
        boiling away with the flavor. just a gentle simmer is all you need.
      • Lynne
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
          10 hrs later and I too can recommend it, Kev - well worth taking a break
          from messing with your column for ... I'm one happy gin drinker. This
          morning I crushed up 20g of juniper berries and about a teaspoon of
          coriander seeds with a mortar and pestle, simmered them in 200ml of 50%
          neutral with about a 2" strip of orange peel (thanks for that
          recommendation, Brad), then let it sit all day. Impatience got the better
          of me and I've trialled it before it's fully finished filtering by just
          adding a few drops to a glass of 'vodka' and tonic, and all I can say is
          "yummmmy". I forgot the lemon peel, but it's fine by me as is, although
          I'll probably add some to the next batch for comparison. My next mission
          is 'cointreau' ...

          Thanks for the Moore Wilson's tip, Kev, but with a brew shop in town, a
          source for juniper berries and a pantry full of almost every other
          herb/spice imaginable, I think I'll be pretty OK for supplies for the
          foreseeable future.

          Cheers,
          Lynne

          >Thanks, guys! We're big gin fans too and I'll be trying out this
          >recipe myself. It was on my list of "things to do" but I've been too
          >busy playing with my column recently.
          >
          ><snip>
          >Kev.
        • Andrew Bugal
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
            Hi all,

            I want to prepare an essence to add to neutral spirit to make Gin.  I have the indredients including Juniper berries, etc.

            Anyone give me advice on the process?  I saw the coffee pot still for essence but wonder if anyone has advanced the technique.  Also, how much essence would be added to 2 litres of spirit?

            Thanks in advance.

            Bwyze

            Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now.
          • KM Services
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008

              Bwyze,

              Mate you can make an essence if you want, but personally steeping of botanicals works really well and in fact is how many gins are made and is easy as.

              The recipe I use is simple as:

              Per Litre

              8 juniper berries (whole don’t crush as bitter)

              1 teaspoon of coriander seeds (Can be split)

              ½ teaspoon of orange zest

              ½ teaspoon of orange zest

              3mls of Country Squire Geneva Gin concentrate or add a couple more juniper berries

              Let it steep for max of 7 days (too long and the juniper imparts a bitter taste) filter through paper towels or coffee filter. It will have a slight yellow tinge from the botanicals …which is okay

              See a previous posting which looks like a great gin:

              Cheers

              Ken Mc

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008

                Sorry Typo corrected:  should read ½ a teaspoon of lemon zest plus ½ a teaspoon of orange zest

                Mate you can make an essence if you want, but personally steeping of botanicals works really well and in fact is how many gins are made and is easy as.

                The recipe I use is simple as:

                Per Litre

                8 juniper berries (whole don’t crush as bitter)

                1 teaspoon of coriander seeds (Can be split)

                ½ teaspoon of orange zest

                ½ teaspoon of Lemon zest

                3mls of Country Squire Geneva Gin concentrate or add a couple more juniper berries

                Let it steep for max of 7 days (too long and the juniper imparts a bitter taste) filter through paper towels or coffee filter. It will have a slight yellow tinge from the botanicals …which is okay

                See a previous posting which looks like a great gin:

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/new_ distillers/ message/29924

                Cheers

                Ken Mc

              • rye_junkie1
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  > I want to prepare an essence to add to neutral spirit to make Gin.Â
                  I have the indredients including Juniper berries, etc.
                  > Anyone give me advice on the process? I saw the coffee pot still
                  for essence but wonder if anyone has advanced the technique. Also,
                  how much essence would be added to 2 litres of spirit?
                  > Thanks in advance.
                  > Bwyze

                  KemMc gave me his recipe a few months back. Its a good one. Be
                  careful with the coriander and citrus as a little goes a long way.
                  Taste it DAILY. 4-7 days is sufficient for a good strong flavor. I
                  let a liter go for 2 weeks once and had to cut 50/50 with more neutral
                  and it still wasn't as good as stuff that had steeped for 5 days.
                  Honestly just juniper berries makes a pretty good dram. I aint gonna
                  lie to you though. That Brewhaus Bombay Gin essence (2.19US) is damn
                  hard to beat. I dont remember what proof Ken steeps his botanicals at
                  but I do mine at 50%.

                  Mason
                • Robert Hubble
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008

                    Gin essence

                    Posted by: "Andrew Bugal" bwyze44@...   bwyze44

                    Thu Dec 4, 2008 3:05 pm (PST)

                    --
                    Hey, Bwyze,

                    This is something I do regularly, and with great success, if I may say so.

                    I'll include my recipes, modified from one of Wal's postings. I put the
                    botanicals in 1-quart (943ml) canning jars, which I top up with my
                    50% vodka-equivalent spirit. After about 10 days' maceration, I pour
                    the whole mess in my coffeepot still, right out of Tony's site. Because
                    the coffeepot holds about 2 quarts, I empty 2 of my maceration jars
                    (if I have that many of one gin recipe).

                    I bring the heat up slowly on the stovetop because it can foam a little,
                    especially when it's full. As far as making cuts, I collect *everything*,
                    at least up until there is no more flavor in the product. I'm estimating
                    that one quart of maceration yields maybe 350ml output...less than
                    half a quart, anyway.

                    If you ever wanted an olfactory description of how a potstill works,
                    tasting flavor spectrum as the still run progresses is a real hoot.

                    Just last week I sat down with my son and son-in-law to see what
                    ratios we needed to use to mix 2 new batches of gin extract, one
                    my old "super-juniper" recipe, and the other my first try at a
                    Plymouth-clone gin. The old recipe worked same as before: 1 part
                    extract to 8 parts "vodka". The Plymouth clone was deemed best
                    at 1:10. Of course, YMMV

                    I've appended the text of Wal's posting with my specific recipes
                    appended to *that*. Oh, yeah, with respect to units of
                    measurement...pardon the dreadful mixture of units! Some
                    things are measured by English volume, with metric weights
                    noted, some are measured by counting (like cardamon pods),
                    and the items that require the most delicate weighing are
                    measured in grains (NOT grams), an obscure unit equalling
                    1/7000 of an English pound.

                    Because I reload my own rifle, pistol, and shotgun cartridges,
                    an industry that measures everything in grains, I have a
                    delicate balance calibrated in grains. For reference, 15.42 grains
                    equal 1 gram.

                    At any rate, my gin is held in high regard as a Christmas
                    present, and is of sipping quality. I think you'll find this easy
                    and *greatly* satifying.

                    I hope this helps, and sorry again about those units.

                    Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstller

                    ***********************GIN INGRRDIENTS AND RECIPES****************************
                    WITH BOB'S GIN EXTRACT RECIPE

                    I have also found the botanicals used for the French Citadelle Gin.
                    This 1771 recipe from Dunkirk has 19 botanicals which is the biggest
                    number among current gins.

                    >> Just found the botanicals for a Dutch gin - Van Gogh Gin.

                    century.

                    quantities for the homedistiller, here is a table of the botanicals
                    used in 10 modern gins:

                     of the botanicals used is:

                                 grains  of paradise, cubeb berries

                                  root, cardamon, nutmeg, savory, calamus, chamomile,
                                  fennel, aniseed, cumin, violet root.

                    they are used for cocktails and are more of a flavored vodka - for
                    this type of gin for 'x' use equal quantities for juniper &
                    coriander  (i.e. x = 20g composed of 10g of juniper & 10g of
                    coriander)

                    for 24 hours), redistilled and then diluted to 42%abv which is an
                    optimal strength for holding the flavour of the botanicals. Only the
                    middle run (80-85%abv) is used to produce a high quality gin.
                    Plymouth Gin also comes in a 57%abv 'Navy Strength' and which is also
                    the British 100 proof strength.

                    botanicals basket through which the vapour passes, a technique which
                    gives a lighter flavour.

                    with other botanicals. Typically a fine gin contains 6-10 botanicals,
                    although the Dutch Damask Gin has 17, and the French Citadelle Gin
                    has 19 - but this could be more for marketing reasons and has been
                    criticised  for lacking direction.

                    give a blue tinge to the gin.

                     10% other grains, although rectified spirit from molasses is also
                    used.

                    meal, although these days the proportions given is 1/3 malted barley,
                    1/3 rye, 1/3 maize.

                    BOB'S GIN EXTRACT#2

                    In quart jar, put:

                    Juniper, 1 level cup, 80 grams
                    Coriander, heaping half cup, 44 grams
                    Cinnamon, 4 grams (62 grains)
                    Pepper cracked, .3 grams (5 grains)
                    Lemon peel, .8 grams (12 grains) ~1 1/4" strip
                    Cardamom pods, .8 grams (5 pods)

                    Cover with 40% abv "vodka".

                    Let stand 10 days.  Distill in wee stovetop still until most of the flavor stops coming across (cinnamon flavor will be last).

                    Use one part distillate to 8 parts neutral EtOH, or vodka.

                    Plymouth version #1

                    Juniper, 1 level cup, 80 grams
                    Coriander, heaping half cup, 44 grams
                    Angelica, 62 grains
                    Orris root, 5 grains
                    Pepper cracked, .3 grams (5 grains)
                    Lemon peel, .8 grams (12 grains) ~1 1/4" strip
                    Sweet orange peel, .8 grams (12 grains) ~1 1/4" strip
                    Cardamom pods, .8 grams (5 pods)

                  • KM Services
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008

                      Around 40ABV

                      Cheers

                      Ken Mc

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008

                        Usually about 40 ABV

                        Cheers

                        Ken Mc

                        > I want to prepare an essence to add to neutral spirit to make Gin.Â
                        I have the indredients including Juniper berries, etc.
                        > Anyone give me advice on the process? I saw the coffee pot still
                        for essence but wonder if anyone has advanced the technique. Also,
                        how much essence would be added to 2 litres of spirit?
                        > Thanks in advance.
                        > Bwyze

                        KemMc gave me his recipe a few months back. Its a good one. Be
                        careful with the coriander and citrus as a little goes a long way.
                        Taste it DAILY. 4-7 days is sufficient for a good strong flavor. I
                        let a liter go for 2 weeks once and had to cut 50/50 with more neutral
                        and it still wasn't as good as stuff that had steeped for 5 days.
                        Honestly just juniper berries makes a pretty good dram. I aint gonna
                        lie to you though. That Brewhaus Bombay Gin essence (2.19US) is damn
                        hard to beat. I dont remember what proof Ken steeps his botanicals at
                        but I do mine at 50%.

                        Mason

                      • gff_stwrt
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 5, 2008
                          Hello Andrew and folks

                          I had this written out and hit 'send' and got a message that the
                          computer wasn't talking to the internet right then so I turned the
                          modem and the computer off and re-started them and they worked fine but
                          the message was gone.
                          Anyway I can't find it.

                          So I will start again.

                          Since you mention coffee pots and botanicals in the same breath, more
                          or less.

                          I have been looking on the internet for 'liqueurs' and must have
                          glanced at hundreds of articles in the last few days, keeping a lot in
                          a 'folder' or putting them into 'favourites'.

                          And in all that lot, I have seen mention of this just ONCE.

                          An old-fashioned coffe percolator. The thing you put on the top of the
                          stove and it 'burps' and hot water hits the underside of the glass
                          thingy on the top and falls back down into a basket of coffee grounds
                          and drips through it to the bottom and burps back to the top again and
                          again until there is no flavour left in the coffee grounds and you are
                          left with an extract; strong black coffee.

                          So I guess how effective this could be would depend on whether the
                          material you are working with more readily gives up its flavours to
                          alcohol or to water; but the coffee percolator would undoubtedly be
                          quite effective for some flavouring agents and it certainly won't cost
                          a lot to check it out.

                          I guess a stainless or ceramic one would be hard to find, most of the
                          ones I have seen are aluminium; which would certainly be okay for
                          coffee or for tea, and probably a lot of other 'herbs and spices'.

                          Probably I will try this some time, so in the meantime I will be
                          watching the thrift stores and the garage sales for a coffee percolator!

                          Regards,

                          The Baker

                          http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/?p1=other&p2=au&p3=tagline