Re: [new_distillers] Re : Gin essence

  • Lynne
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25, 2001
      At 07:46 PM 3/25/01 +0930, you wrote:
      >I can vouch for this recipe - it is great. You can keep throwing all sorts
      >into the essence. I found dried juniper berries in my supermarket (in
      >Australia - distributed by Masterfoods.) I also added some coriander and some
      >orange peel. It makes a great gin.

      Great! thanks Brad (and Tony) - that's what I wanted .. a 'vouch' from a
      gin drinker. I was reluctant to trial any of the recipes I found, in case
      I ended up with something no better than, or worse than the commercial
      product. I recently moved back to NZ from Perth, and was able to bring all
      my cooking spices/herbs with me, including juniper berries I'd bought for
      some (food) recipe I never got around to making - little did I realise I'd
      end up using them for a much more pleasurable pursuit here;) They're
      pretty easy to find in Oz, but it took me a while to track them down here -
      I'm in a smallish town, but much to my joy/amazement, the one and only
      organic food store here has recently started stocking them - just as my
      supply was running out. I've got 2 litres of 50% neutral left to play
      with, so the berries will be on the boil in the morning!

      A couple more questions: the coriander - ground, root or leaf? There's
      quite a difference in flavours given off by each ... (I've never been able
      to pick out a coriander flavour in gin .. I guess I smoke too much ;) And,
      does aging improve the flavour, or is it pretty much as good as it's going
      to get once the essence is added?

      Cheers,
      Lynne
    • Brad McMahon
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25, 2001
        From: "Lynne" <ellemm@...>

        > A couple more questions: the coriander - ground, root or leaf?

        Coriander seed - although adding leaf might be interesting.
        In honesty I don't think I can taste it either - but it's in there.

        There's
        > quite a difference in flavours given off by each ... (I've never been able
        > to pick out a coriander flavour in gin .. I guess I smoke too much ;) And,
        > does aging improve the flavour, or is it pretty much as good as it's going
        > to get once the essence is added?

        I've never had the bottle last long enough to find out!