Re : Gin essence

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25, 2001
      Lynne,

      One that I've got at
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/flavour.htm#recipes was from UPS,
      who wrote ...

      I use juniper berries by simmering them in 50% vodka for ten minutes (with
      the lid on), then letting it cool overnight on it's own. The next day I
      filter this mess through a couple of coffee filters to get a homemade (and
      better quality) gin essence. I use about 35 grams of juniper berries
      (crushed) and 350ml of vodka - 5ml (one teaspoon) will turn a bottle of
      vodka into a light flavored gin. 10ml make a more traditional, strong
      flavored gin. You can add other spices like cardamom, coriander, and lemon
      peel (about one gram of each) for a more complex flavor in your gin. Using
      10ml makes a straw yellow colored drink
    • Brad McMahon
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25, 2001
        From: "Tony & Elle Ackland" <Tony.Ackland@...>

        > I use juniper berries by simmering them in 50% vodka for ten minutes (with
        > the lid on), then letting it cool overnight on it's own. The next day I
        > filter this mess through a couple of coffee filters to get a homemade (and
        > better quality) gin essence. I use about 35 grams of juniper berries
        > (crushed) and 350ml of vodka - 5ml (one teaspoon) will turn a bottle of
        > vodka into a light flavored gin. 10ml make a more traditional, strong
        > flavored gin. You can add other spices like cardamom, coriander, and lemon
        > peel (about one gram of each) for a more complex flavor in your gin. Using
        > 10ml makes a straw yellow colored drink

        I can vouch for this recipe - it is great. You can keep throwing all sorts
        into the essence. I found dried juniper berries in my supermarket (in
        Australia - distributed by Masterfoods.) I also added some coriander and some
        orange peel. It makes a great gin.
        Be warned it doesn't taste a lot like commercial examples - they use a lot
        less juniper and a lot more citrus and botanicals.
        In my opinion this home recipe is better. I use close to 20mL per bottle and
        the gin is a dirty yellow colour but I like the flavour.
        I haven't tried the traditional method of putting juniper berries in a pot
        still's condensing arm I may well one day - but my 250mL bottle of gin essence
        will easily last me a couple of years.
      • Lynne
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 25, 2001
          At 07:46 PM 3/25/01 +0930, you wrote:
          >I can vouch for this recipe - it is great. You can keep throwing all sorts
          >into the essence. I found dried juniper berries in my supermarket (in
          >Australia - distributed by Masterfoods.) I also added some coriander and some
          >orange peel. It makes a great gin.

          Great! thanks Brad (and Tony) - that's what I wanted .. a 'vouch' from a
          gin drinker. I was reluctant to trial any of the recipes I found, in case
          I ended up with something no better than, or worse than the commercial
          product. I recently moved back to NZ from Perth, and was able to bring all
          my cooking spices/herbs with me, including juniper berries I'd bought for
          some (food) recipe I never got around to making - little did I realise I'd
          end up using them for a much more pleasurable pursuit here;) They're
          pretty easy to find in Oz, but it took me a while to track them down here -
          I'm in a smallish town, but much to my joy/amazement, the one and only
          organic food store here has recently started stocking them - just as my
          supply was running out. I've got 2 litres of 50% neutral left to play
          with, so the berries will be on the boil in the morning!

          A couple more questions: the coriander - ground, root or leaf? There's
          quite a difference in flavours given off by each ... (I've never been able
          to pick out a coriander flavour in gin .. I guess I smoke too much ;) And,
          does aging improve the flavour, or is it pretty much as good as it's going
          to get once the essence is added?

          Cheers,
          Lynne
        • Brad McMahon
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 25, 2001
            From: "Lynne" <ellemm@...>

            > A couple more questions: the coriander - ground, root or leaf?

            Coriander seed - although adding leaf might be interesting.
            In honesty I don't think I can taste it either - but it's in there.

            There's
            > quite a difference in flavours given off by each ... (I've never been able
            > to pick out a coriander flavour in gin .. I guess I smoke too much ;) And,
            > does aging improve the flavour, or is it pretty much as good as it's going
            > to get once the essence is added?

            I've never had the bottle last long enough to find out!