Gin essence

  • Lynne
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 24, 2001
      Are there any gin aficionados out there who've got a good recipe for making
      your own essence? I'm a veritable newbie at distilling (3rd batch only
      bottled today) and have been using the commercial essences, but find even
      the better ones need the addition of a few crushed juniper berries to perk
      the flavour up. Of course, having juniper berries floating in your bottle
      is a bit of a pain when it comes to pouring ... I've found 3 or 4 recipes
      on the web, but am wondering if anyone has got a tried and true one which
      closely resembles commercial gin, but which doesn't involve
      distillation. (After seeing a recipe in Mike Nixon's book, I priced a
      flask and condenser through a lab equipment supplier, and immediately
      decided I wasn't *that* desperate - for a couple of days I even had the
      guilts about the gay abandon with which we used to smash lab equipment at
      school!)

      Cheers,
      Lynne
    • Kev
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
        Thanks, guys! We're big gin fans too and I'll be trying out this
        recipe myself. It was on my list of "things to do" but I've been too
        busy playing with my column recently.

        Lynn, another thing you said was about the re-distilling comments in
        the N/S book. I think the idea here is to remove the colour from the
        home-made essence. If this isn't an issue for you, I think you can
        happily skip it.

        I find Moore Wilson a great shop for getting herbs, spices and sugar
        in quantity and very good quality. I'm not sure where you are in NZ,
        but they're based in and around Wellington, plus Masterton, if this
        is of any use to you.

        Cheers!

        Kev.
      • ups474@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
          don't bother with steam distillation as the nixon/stone book advises-
          instead just add the botanicals listed to 350 ml of vodka and boil them in a
          sauce pan on the stovetop for ten minutes, then cool over night, then filter
          out the solids- use this brownish liquid like any other extract (5 to 10ml
          per bottle depending on how strong you like your gin). The saucepan's lid
          should be put on the pan upside down so the little deppression on the lid's
          underside can be filled with ice and water to prevent the alcohol from
          boiling away with the flavor. just a gentle simmer is all you need.
        • Lynne
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
            10 hrs later and I too can recommend it, Kev - well worth taking a break
            from messing with your column for ... I'm one happy gin drinker. This
            morning I crushed up 20g of juniper berries and about a teaspoon of
            coriander seeds with a mortar and pestle, simmered them in 200ml of 50%
            neutral with about a 2" strip of orange peel (thanks for that
            recommendation, Brad), then let it sit all day. Impatience got the better
            of me and I've trialled it before it's fully finished filtering by just
            adding a few drops to a glass of 'vodka' and tonic, and all I can say is
            "yummmmy". I forgot the lemon peel, but it's fine by me as is, although
            I'll probably add some to the next batch for comparison. My next mission
            is 'cointreau' ...

            Thanks for the Moore Wilson's tip, Kev, but with a brew shop in town, a
            source for juniper berries and a pantry full of almost every other
            herb/spice imaginable, I think I'll be pretty OK for supplies for the
            foreseeable future.

            Cheers,
            Lynne

            >Thanks, guys! We're big gin fans too and I'll be trying out this
            >recipe myself. It was on my list of "things to do" but I've been too
            >busy playing with my column recently.
            >
            ><snip>
            >Kev.
          • Andrew Bugal
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
              Hi all,

              I want to prepare an essence to add to neutral spirit to make Gin.  I have the indredients including Juniper berries, etc.

              Anyone give me advice on the process?  I saw the coffee pot still for essence but wonder if anyone has advanced the technique.  Also, how much essence would be added to 2 litres of spirit?

              Thanks in advance.

              Bwyze

              Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now.
            • KM Services
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008

                Bwyze,

                Mate you can make an essence if you want, but personally steeping of botanicals works really well and in fact is how many gins are made and is easy as.

                The recipe I use is simple as:

                Per Litre

                8 juniper berries (whole don’t crush as bitter)

                1 teaspoon of coriander seeds (Can be split)

                ½ teaspoon of orange zest

                ½ teaspoon of orange zest

                3mls of Country Squire Geneva Gin concentrate or add a couple more juniper berries

                Let it steep for max of 7 days (too long and the juniper imparts a bitter taste) filter through paper towels or coffee filter. It will have a slight yellow tinge from the botanicals …which is okay

                See a previous posting which looks like a great gin:

                Cheers

                Ken Mc

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008

                  Sorry Typo corrected:  should read ½ a teaspoon of lemon zest plus ½ a teaspoon of orange zest

                  Mate you can make an essence if you want, but personally steeping of botanicals works really well and in fact is how many gins are made and is easy as.

                  The recipe I use is simple as:

                  Per Litre

                  8 juniper berries (whole don’t crush as bitter)

                  1 teaspoon of coriander seeds (Can be split)

                  ½ teaspoon of orange zest

                  ½ teaspoon of Lemon zest

                  3mls of Country Squire Geneva Gin concentrate or add a couple more juniper berries

                  Let it steep for max of 7 days (too long and the juniper imparts a bitter taste) filter through paper towels or coffee filter. It will have a slight yellow tinge from the botanicals …which is okay

                  See a previous posting which looks like a great gin:

                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/new_ distillers/ message/29924

                  Cheers

                  Ken Mc

                • rye_junkie1
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    > I want to prepare an essence to add to neutral spirit to make Gin.Â
                    I have the indredients including Juniper berries, etc.
                    > Anyone give me advice on the process? I saw the coffee pot still
                    for essence but wonder if anyone has advanced the technique. Also,
                    how much essence would be added to 2 litres of spirit?
                    > Thanks in advance.
                    > Bwyze

                    KemMc gave me his recipe a few months back. Its a good one. Be
                    careful with the coriander and citrus as a little goes a long way.
                    Taste it DAILY. 4-7 days is sufficient for a good strong flavor. I
                    let a liter go for 2 weeks once and had to cut 50/50 with more neutral
                    and it still wasn't as good as stuff that had steeped for 5 days.
                    Honestly just juniper berries makes a pretty good dram. I aint gonna
                    lie to you though. That Brewhaus Bombay Gin essence (2.19US) is damn
                    hard to beat. I dont remember what proof Ken steeps his botanicals at
                    but I do mine at 50%.

                    Mason
                  • Robert Hubble
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008

                      Gin essence

                      Posted by: "Andrew Bugal" bwyze44@...   bwyze44

                      Thu Dec 4, 2008 3:05 pm (PST)

                      --
                      Hey, Bwyze,

                      This is something I do regularly, and with great success, if I may say so.

                      I'll include my recipes, modified from one of Wal's postings. I put the
                      botanicals in 1-quart (943ml) canning jars, which I top up with my
                      50% vodka-equivalent spirit. After about 10 days' maceration, I pour
                      the whole mess in my coffeepot still, right out of Tony's site. Because
                      the coffeepot holds about 2 quarts, I empty 2 of my maceration jars
                      (if I have that many of one gin recipe).

                      I bring the heat up slowly on the stovetop because it can foam a little,
                      especially when it's full. As far as making cuts, I collect *everything*,
                      at least up until there is no more flavor in the product. I'm estimating
                      that one quart of maceration yields maybe 350ml output...less than
                      half a quart, anyway.

                      If you ever wanted an olfactory description of how a potstill works,
                      tasting flavor spectrum as the still run progresses is a real hoot.

                      Just last week I sat down with my son and son-in-law to see what
                      ratios we needed to use to mix 2 new batches of gin extract, one
                      my old "super-juniper" recipe, and the other my first try at a
                      Plymouth-clone gin. The old recipe worked same as before: 1 part
                      extract to 8 parts "vodka". The Plymouth clone was deemed best
                      at 1:10. Of course, YMMV

                      I've appended the text of Wal's posting with my specific recipes
                      appended to *that*. Oh, yeah, with respect to units of
                      measurement...pardon the dreadful mixture of units! Some
                      things are measured by English volume, with metric weights
                      noted, some are measured by counting (like cardamon pods),
                      and the items that require the most delicate weighing are
                      measured in grains (NOT grams), an obscure unit equalling
                      1/7000 of an English pound.

                      Because I reload my own rifle, pistol, and shotgun cartridges,
                      an industry that measures everything in grains, I have a
                      delicate balance calibrated in grains. For reference, 15.42 grains
                      equal 1 gram.

                      At any rate, my gin is held in high regard as a Christmas
                      present, and is of sipping quality. I think you'll find this easy
                      and *greatly* satifying.

                      I hope this helps, and sorry again about those units.

                      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstller

                      ***********************GIN INGRRDIENTS AND RECIPES****************************
                      WITH BOB'S GIN EXTRACT RECIPE

                      I have also found the botanicals used for the French Citadelle Gin.
                      This 1771 recipe from Dunkirk has 19 botanicals which is the biggest
                      number among current gins.

                      >> Just found the botanicals for a Dutch gin - Van Gogh Gin.

                      century.

                      quantities for the homedistiller, here is a table of the botanicals
                      used in 10 modern gins:

                       of the botanicals used is:

                                   grains  of paradise, cubeb berries

                                    root, cardamon, nutmeg, savory, calamus, chamomile,
                                    fennel, aniseed, cumin, violet root.

                      they are used for cocktails and are more of a flavored vodka - for
                      this type of gin for 'x' use equal quantities for juniper &
                      coriander  (i.e. x = 20g composed of 10g of juniper & 10g of
                      coriander)

                      for 24 hours), redistilled and then diluted to 42%abv which is an
                      optimal strength for holding the flavour of the botanicals. Only the
                      middle run (80-85%abv) is used to produce a high quality gin.
                      Plymouth Gin also comes in a 57%abv 'Navy Strength' and which is also
                      the British 100 proof strength.

                      botanicals basket through which the vapour passes, a technique which
                      gives a lighter flavour.

                      with other botanicals. Typically a fine gin contains 6-10 botanicals,
                      although the Dutch Damask Gin has 17, and the French Citadelle Gin
                      has 19 - but this could be more for marketing reasons and has been
                      criticised  for lacking direction.

                      give a blue tinge to the gin.

                       10% other grains, although rectified spirit from molasses is also
                      used.

                      meal, although these days the proportions given is 1/3 malted barley,
                      1/3 rye, 1/3 maize.

                      BOB'S GIN EXTRACT#2

                      In quart jar, put:

                      Juniper, 1 level cup, 80 grams
                      Coriander, heaping half cup, 44 grams
                      Cinnamon, 4 grams (62 grains)
                      Pepper cracked, .3 grams (5 grains)
                      Lemon peel, .8 grams (12 grains) ~1 1/4" strip
                      Cardamom pods, .8 grams (5 pods)

                      Cover with 40% abv "vodka".

                      Let stand 10 days.  Distill in wee stovetop still until most of the flavor stops coming across (cinnamon flavor will be last).

                      Use one part distillate to 8 parts neutral EtOH, or vodka.

                      Plymouth version #1

                      Juniper, 1 level cup, 80 grams
                      Coriander, heaping half cup, 44 grams
                      Angelica, 62 grains
                      Orris root, 5 grains
                      Pepper cracked, .3 grams (5 grains)
                      Lemon peel, .8 grams (12 grains) ~1 1/4" strip
                      Sweet orange peel, .8 grams (12 grains) ~1 1/4" strip
                      Cardamom pods, .8 grams (5 pods)

                    • KM Services
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008

                        Around 40ABV

                        Cheers

                        Ken Mc

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 4, 2008

                          Usually about 40 ABV

                          Cheers

                          Ken Mc

                          > I want to prepare an essence to add to neutral spirit to make Gin.Â
                          I have the indredients including Juniper berries, etc.
                          > Anyone give me advice on the process? I saw the coffee pot still
                          for essence but wonder if anyone has advanced the technique. Also,
                          how much essence would be added to 2 litres of spirit?
                          > Thanks in advance.
                          > Bwyze

                          KemMc gave me his recipe a few months back. Its a good one. Be
                          careful with the coriander and citrus as a little goes a long way.
                          Taste it DAILY. 4-7 days is sufficient for a good strong flavor. I
                          let a liter go for 2 weeks once and had to cut 50/50 with more neutral
                          and it still wasn't as good as stuff that had steeped for 5 days.
                          Honestly just juniper berries makes a pretty good dram. I aint gonna
                          lie to you though. That Brewhaus Bombay Gin essence (2.19US) is damn
                          hard to beat. I dont remember what proof Ken steeps his botanicals at
                          but I do mine at 50%.

                          Mason

                        • gff_stwrt
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 5, 2008
                            Hello Andrew and folks

                            I had this written out and hit 'send' and got a message that the
                            computer wasn't talking to the internet right then so I turned the
                            modem and the computer off and re-started them and they worked fine but
                            the message was gone.
                            Anyway I can't find it.

                            So I will start again.

                            Since you mention coffee pots and botanicals in the same breath, more
                            or less.

                            I have been looking on the internet for 'liqueurs' and must have
                            glanced at hundreds of articles in the last few days, keeping a lot in
                            a 'folder' or putting them into 'favourites'.

                            And in all that lot, I have seen mention of this just ONCE.

                            An old-fashioned coffe percolator. The thing you put on the top of the
                            stove and it 'burps' and hot water hits the underside of the glass
                            thingy on the top and falls back down into a basket of coffee grounds
                            and drips through it to the bottom and burps back to the top again and
                            again until there is no flavour left in the coffee grounds and you are
                            left with an extract; strong black coffee.

                            So I guess how effective this could be would depend on whether the
                            material you are working with more readily gives up its flavours to
                            alcohol or to water; but the coffee percolator would undoubtedly be
                            quite effective for some flavouring agents and it certainly won't cost
                            a lot to check it out.

                            I guess a stainless or ceramic one would be hard to find, most of the
                            ones I have seen are aluminium; which would certainly be okay for
                            coffee or for tea, and probably a lot of other 'herbs and spices'.

                            Probably I will try this some time, so in the meantime I will be
                            watching the thrift stores and the garage sales for a coffee percolator!

                            Regards,

                            The Baker

                            http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/?p1=other&p2=au&p3=tagline