RE: [new_distillers] Coffee Decanter?

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
      Jim

      > suppose a person was going to distill their first run-- what is the
      easiest way to acheive this. Just bye a paket of turbo yeast ( should I
      start with turbo yeast?) and get to fermenting? ie simple sugar wash.

      > yes - there will be plenty of time later to get into fancy like using
      grains or fruit etc. You first need to work out how your column works, and
      whats the best way to run it. Just a simple sugar wash is usually fairly
      straight forward. By using one of the pre-packed Turbos it also takes out
      all the worry about the right levels of nutrients, aciditiy, etc. Follow
      their instructions and it should be fairly trouble free and reliable.

      > My second question is in regards to polishing. I have read the posting
      and don't completely understand the process. I see where some people are
      soaking the carbon in the alchol ? And others are using it like a filter.
      Okay so to use it as a filter does a person just bye some carbon from one
      of the suppliers and run the product through it.( build funnel filled with
      carbon, and collect finished product on th other end) ? It seems like this
      would run through fairly fast, is that okay? I quess I am asking what is
      the easiest POLISHER for one to make?

      I find the EASIEST is just to soak it. Using the funnel/tube etc can be a
      lot faster, but takes a bit of fiddling around, and if done too fast, can
      end up with a grey or poorly filtered product. If using the funnel etc, do
      it really slowly, so that it only drips through it slowly - not piddling
      out as a stream.

      In either case, just make sure that you've cleaned the carbon well first,
      by boiling it for a couple of minutes and then rinsing it until the water
      is clear.

      To avoid having to do a fast filter, why not simply do one batch of spirits
      more than what you need. That way you can always have one aging or sitting
      on carbon, doing a decent job, and there ready to use, rather than being in
      the "brew on Fri for Sat party" rush. Likewise for once you've added the
      essences, or oak etc. Generally the longer you can age them the better.
      If you have say 5-10L sitting around, there is no rush (but you score
      badly in the Alcoholics Anonymous questionares - more than a couple of
      litres of alcohol at home, or stocking up etc generally put the ticks in
      the wrong column)

      > I know these probabily seem a little elementery to most of the posters,
      but thanks for the patience, and the sharing of knowledge.

      Thats what this group is here for. We all started here once.

      Tony
    • Jim Long
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2002

          Thanks to, Tony Ackland and John Vandermeulen. Really appriciate you both getting back with me on my first run. I have bought and read " the complete distiller", read many of the past postings and have read every post in the last couple of months.

           It just seemed alittle over whelming, I must have tried to learn to much to fast!! Anyway thanks for all your help, I am waiting on UPs and then I will try to put all I read to practice. Will let you know how it goes.

          Tony, once I got your site opened it was a pleather of information. It answered alot of the things I didnt quite understand, You deserve an ata-boy for compiling and shareing all that great information.

        Jim

         Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:

        Jim

        > suppose a person was going to distill their first run-- what is the
        easiest way to acheive this. Just bye a paket of turbo yeast ( should I
        start with turbo yeast?) and get to fermenting? ie simple sugar wash.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Do You Yahoo!?