sugar for essence

  • Michael Spottswood
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2002
      I am sitting here about to mix up my stuff with some Noriot essence from the
      local brewshoppe. The recipie on the bottle calls for 750mL of 40% alcohol,
      300 grams of sugar, 75mL of water, and of course the essence bottle
      contents.
      My question is this. What type of sugar should be used to mix with this
      stuff. I looked through the "Home Distillation Handbook" and found the
      author reffering to sugar syrup, but no explanation to what that is was
      given. Any thoughts appreciated as always.
      Thanks
      Mike

    • Robert Stam
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2002
        Hi Mike, I use refined white cane sugar, and it works fine. I'm sure you could use other sugars such as Demarra or soft brown if you were making a rum, but you would need to experiment to find what you like. Stick with refined white sugar for now.

        As for a syrup, you can make one by heating water and adding sugar to it and stiring until it disolves.
        Thin
        3 parts water to 1 part sugar
        Medium
        2 parts water to 1 part sugar
        Heavy
        equal parts water and sugar
        Cheers, Rob
        I am sitting here about to mix up my stuff with some Noriot essence from the
        local brewshoppe.  The recipie on the bottle calls for 750mL of 40% alcohol,
        300 grams of sugar, 75mL of water, and of course the essence bottle
        contents.
        My question is this.  What type of sugar should be used to mix with this
        stuff.  I looked through the "Home Distillation Handbook" and found the
        author reffering to sugar syrup, but no explanation to what that is was
        given.  Any thoughts appreciated as always.
        Thanks
        Mike

        Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.