Re: Pot Distiller's Yeast

  • bokakob
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
      Check "database" on the left, in the menu. there are a few recepies
      for just what you are asking.

      --- In new_distillers@y..., Ian Macsween <ianelamacsween@s...> wrote:
      > I am certain that many members of our group have used Prestige Pot
      Distiller's Yeast.

      > On the packet the instructions state:
      >
      > "1. Add your fruit into a 25 - 30 liter ... clean plastic
      bucket and add 5 liters ... of water ..." etc.

      > I find this first step fuzzy as there are no directions given as
      to how much fruit one should use. The rest of the instructions on
      the packet seem clear enough.

      > My main question is - how many pounds/kilos of fruit should be
      added to make a batch of schnapps?

      > If I follow a standard fruit wine recipe and eliminate the
      additives usually called for in fruit wines - and substitute pot
      distiller's yeast for regular wine yeast - will I be on the right
      track to making a good schnapps?

      > For example: my winemaking booklet calls for the following
      amounts of fruit per batch.

      > Apricot - 7 kg (15 lbs.) for 19 litres (5 U.S. gallons)
      > Blackberry - 2.6 kg (6 lbs.) per 4 litres (1 gallon)
      > Blueberry - 1 kg (2 1/2 lbs.) per 4 litres (1 gallon)
      >
      > etc.
      >
      > I look forward to any guidance I can get.
    • Zeke Jones
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
        I have used this turbo with good results....with sugar and water only....I
        never noticed the 'fruit' thing you mentioned....:>)

        >From: Ian Macsween <ianelamacsween@...>
        >To: New Distillers <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [new_distillers] Pot Distiller's Yeast
        >Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 16:31:14 -0700
        >
        >I am certain that many members of our group have used Prestige Pot
        >Distiller's Yeast.
        >
        >On the packet the instructions state:
        >
        > "1. Add your fruit into a 25 - 30 liter ... clean plastic bucket and
        >add 5 liters ... of water ..." etc.
        >
        >I find this first step fuzzy as there are no directions given as to how
        >much fruit one should use. The rest of the instructions on the packet seem
        >clear enough.
        >
        >My main question is - how many pounds/kilos of fruit should be added to
        >make a batch of schnapps?
        >
        >If I follow a standard fruit wine recipe and eliminate the additives
        >usually called for in fruit wines - and substitute pot distiller's yeast
        >for regular wine yeast - will I be on the right track to making a good
        >schnapps?
        >
        >For example: my winemaking booklet calls for the following amounts of
        >fruit per batch.
        >
        > Apricot - 7 kg (15 lbs.) for 19 litres (5 U.S. gallons)
        > Blackberry - 2.6 kg (6 lbs.) per 4 litres (1 gallon)
        > Blueberry - 1 kg (2 1/2 lbs.) per 4 litres (1 gallon)
        >
        >etc.
        >
        >I look forward to any guidance I can get.

      • Robert Stam
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
          Hi Ian,

          I haven't used the Prestige Pot Distillers yeast, but if I were making a schnapps I would just try to make as good and clean a fruit wine as I could. Take it off the lees early, say when you get down to an SG of 1.005, and rack it into another barrel to finish off the ferment.
          Since you are going to be distilling the finished product and not drinking it, you need (in my opinion) strong, robust flavours in the wine, and plenty of aroma. Ferment on the skins, to extract as much of the flavinoids and phenols as possible. Remove the stones (pits) as they often produce bitter flavours. Avoid oxidisation as this removes the fruity esters. A long, cool, slow ferment is best.
           Rack off the lees again before distilling.
          That's it.
          Cheers, Rob
[...]

          Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.

        • John Vandermeulen
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
            Ian,
            Re: amount of fruit per water - does this not depend on what S.G. you want
            to begin with? That is the way I have treated that instruction. Suppose
            you want S.G. 1.060. If your fruit sap is below that (i.e. say 1.040),
            then adding more water is counter-productive. Instead you need to add
            sugar. So it becomes a balancing act between adding water, adding sugar,
            and measuring S.G. - I think.
            JohnV

            Ian Macsween wrote:

            > I am certain that many members of our group have used Prestige Pot
            > Distiller's Yeast. On the packet the instructions state: "1. Add
            > your fruit into a 25 - 30 liter ... clean plastic bucket and add 5 liters
            > ... of water ..." etc. I find this first step fuzzy as there are no
            > directions given as to how much fruit one should use. The rest of the
            > instructions on the packet seem clear enough. My main question is - how
            > many pounds/kilos of fruit should be added to make a batch of
            > schnapps? If I follow a standard fruit wine recipe and eliminate the
            > additives usually called for in fruit wines - and substitute pot
            > distiller's yeast for regular wine yeast - will I be on the right track
            > to making a good schnapps? For example: my winemaking booklet calls for
            > the following amounts of fruit per batch. Apricot - 7 kg (15 lbs.)
            > for 19 litres (5 U.S. gallons) Blackberry - 2.6 kg (6 lbs.) per 4
            > litres (1 gallon) Blueberry - 1 kg (2 1/2 lbs.) per 4 litres (1
            > gallon) etc. I look forward to any guidance I can get.
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            [Image]

            [Image]

          • pocoian2000
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
              --- In new_distillers@y..., Robert Stam <Robert.Stam@b...> wrote:
              > Hi Ian,
              >
              > I haven't used the Prestige Pot Distillers yeast, but if I were
              making a
              > schnapps I would just try to make as good and clean a fruit wine as
              I could.
              > Take it off the lees early, say when you get down to an SG of
              1.005, and
              > rack it into another barrel to finish off the ferment.
              > Since you are going to be distilling the finished product and not
              drinking
              > it, you need (in my opinion) strong, robust flavours in the wine,
              and plenty
              > of aroma. Ferment on the skins, to extract as much of the
              flavinoids and
              > phenols as possible. Remove the stones (pits) as they often produce
              bitter
              > flavours. Avoid oxidisation as this removes the fruity esters. A
              long, cool,
              > slow ferment is best.
              > Rack off the lees again before distilling.
              > That's it.
              > Cheers, Rob

              Thanks Rob! I guess I have been doing more or less as you suggest.
              John V. pointed out that I should use the specific gravity as a
              guideline. This also is a good suggestion.

              Just sort of surprised that the directions on the Prestige Pot
              Distiller's Yeast packet is not more explicit. They should say for
              (whatever) amount of fruit, add sugar to bring up to (whatever)
              specific gravity, etc.

              Last year I did as you suggest and made "heavy" fruit wines with
              quite a bit more fruit than called for in the recipes. The fruit had
              all been frozen, so I did not add Campden tablets or sulphate. I also
              did not add tannin and other things you would usually add to some
              fruit wines. I did use pectic enzymes and "acidex". Actually, the
              wine turned out so nice that I did not have the heart to distill all
              of it. All the ladies in the neighbourhood just love it. But the
              schnapps I made with a small pot still was really good.

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2303158.3720906.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=17
              050416

              94:HM/A=810327/R=0/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>

              94:HM/A=810327/R=1/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
              >

              > Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This
              electronic mail
              > message and any accompanying attachments may contain information
              that is
              > privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient
              you are
              > advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or
              reproduction of
              > the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
              have
              > received this document in error, please notify the sender
              immediately and
              > destroy the message.
            • pocoian2000
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                --- In new_distillers@y..., "Zeke Jones" <joneszeke@h...> wrote:
                > I have used this turbo with good results....with sugar and water
                only....I
                > never noticed the 'fruit' thing you mentioned....:>)

                Hi Zeke! Different product. Prestige Pot Distiller's Yeast is a
                completly different strain than any of the "turbo" yeasts. It is
                intented for use in making fruit schnapps or fruit brandies. I have
                tried using turbo yeasts in fruit schnapps but fine the pot
                distillers yeast produces a much better flavour. The directions keep
                mentioning the fruit, but give no indication of how much fruit to use.
                Each packet is good for 25 litres.

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                  Your right, the instructions could use a bit of padding out.

                  Incidentally, freezing the fruit before hand is a good way of extracting more juice and reducing the pectin haze. By freezing the fruit you cause the water in the cells to expand and split the cellulose walls.

                  Cheers, Rob

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                    A friend gave me a pkg of the Prestige Pot Distillers and I just used it
                    like any other turbo...I guess I didnt read the pkg very well..:>)...it
                    worked OK but I prefer the Batch 14%...I have had very good results with
                    it,but only with sugar water washs,as this is all I use......:>)

                  • ups474@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                      Don't forget to add acid to counter the sugar you add- without it, the brandy
                      can be flat, and one-dimensional.
                      Trying to get the sugar to dissolve in the fruit pulp without any water is
                      the best way to go, if you can.