Pot Distiller's Yeast

  • Ian Macsween
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
      I am certain that many members of our group have used Prestige Pot Distiller's Yeast.

      On the packet the instructions state:

           "1. Add your fruit into a 25 - 30 liter ... clean plastic bucket and add 5 liters ... of water ..."  etc.

      I find this first step  fuzzy as there are no directions given as to how much fruit one should use.  The rest of the instructions on the packet seem clear enough.

      My main question is - how many pounds/kilos of fruit should be added to make a batch of schnapps?

      If I follow a standard fruit wine recipe and eliminate the additives usually called for in fruit wines - and substitute pot distiller's yeast for regular wine yeast - will I be on the right track to making a good schnapps?

      For example:  my winemaking booklet calls for the following amounts of fruit per batch.

         Apricot  - 7 kg (15  lbs.)  for 19 litres (5 U.S. gallons)
         Blackberry  - 2.6 kg (6 lbs.) per 4 litres (1 gallon)
         Blueberry  - 1 kg (2  1/2 lbs.) per 4 litres (1 gallon)

      etc.

      I look forward to any guidance I can get.

    • bokakob
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
        Check "database" on the left, in the menu. there are a few recepies
        for just what you are asking.

        --- In new_distillers@y..., Ian Macsween <ianelamacsween@s...> wrote:
        > I am certain that many members of our group have used Prestige Pot
        Distiller's Yeast.

        > On the packet the instructions state:
        >
        > "1. Add your fruit into a 25 - 30 liter ... clean plastic
        bucket and add 5 liters ... of water ..." etc.

        > I find this first step fuzzy as there are no directions given as
        to how much fruit one should use. The rest of the instructions on
        the packet seem clear enough.

        > My main question is - how many pounds/kilos of fruit should be
        added to make a batch of schnapps?

        > If I follow a standard fruit wine recipe and eliminate the
        additives usually called for in fruit wines - and substitute pot
        distiller's yeast for regular wine yeast - will I be on the right
        track to making a good schnapps?

        > For example: my winemaking booklet calls for the following
        amounts of fruit per batch.

        > Apricot - 7 kg (15 lbs.) for 19 litres (5 U.S. gallons)
        > Blackberry - 2.6 kg (6 lbs.) per 4 litres (1 gallon)
        > Blueberry - 1 kg (2 1/2 lbs.) per 4 litres (1 gallon)
        >
        > etc.
        >
        > I look forward to any guidance I can get.
      • Zeke Jones
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
          I have used this turbo with good results....with sugar and water only....I
          never noticed the 'fruit' thing you mentioned....:>)

          >From: Ian Macsween <ianelamacsween@...>
          >To: New Distillers <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [new_distillers] Pot Distiller's Yeast
          >Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 16:31:14 -0700
          >
          >I am certain that many members of our group have used Prestige Pot
          >Distiller's Yeast.
          >
          >On the packet the instructions state:
          >
          > "1. Add your fruit into a 25 - 30 liter ... clean plastic bucket and
          >add 5 liters ... of water ..." etc.
          >
          >I find this first step fuzzy as there are no directions given as to how
          >much fruit one should use. The rest of the instructions on the packet seem
          >clear enough.
          >
          >My main question is - how many pounds/kilos of fruit should be added to
          >make a batch of schnapps?
          >
          >If I follow a standard fruit wine recipe and eliminate the additives
          >usually called for in fruit wines - and substitute pot distiller's yeast
          >for regular wine yeast - will I be on the right track to making a good
          >schnapps?
          >
          >For example: my winemaking booklet calls for the following amounts of
          >fruit per batch.
          >
          > Apricot - 7 kg (15 lbs.) for 19 litres (5 U.S. gallons)
          > Blackberry - 2.6 kg (6 lbs.) per 4 litres (1 gallon)
          > Blueberry - 1 kg (2 1/2 lbs.) per 4 litres (1 gallon)
          >
          >etc.
          >
          >I look forward to any guidance I can get.

        • Robert Stam
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
            Hi Ian,

            I haven't used the Prestige Pot Distillers yeast, but if I were making a schnapps I would just try to make as good and clean a fruit wine as I could. Take it off the lees early, say when you get down to an SG of 1.005, and rack it into another barrel to finish off the ferment.
            Since you are going to be distilling the finished product and not drinking it, you need (in my opinion) strong, robust flavours in the wine, and plenty of aroma. Ferment on the skins, to extract as much of the flavinoids and phenols as possible. Remove the stones (pits) as they often produce bitter flavours. Avoid oxidisation as this removes the fruity esters. A long, cool, slow ferment is best.
             Rack off the lees again before distilling.
            That's it.
            Cheers, Rob
[...]

            Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.

          • John Vandermeulen
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
              Ian,
              Re: amount of fruit per water - does this not depend on what S.G. you want
              to begin with? That is the way I have treated that instruction. Suppose
              you want S.G. 1.060. If your fruit sap is below that (i.e. say 1.040),
              then adding more water is counter-productive. Instead you need to add
              sugar. So it becomes a balancing act between adding water, adding sugar,
              and measuring S.G. - I think.
              JohnV

              Ian Macsween wrote:

              > I am certain that many members of our group have used Prestige Pot
              > Distiller's Yeast. On the packet the instructions state: "1. Add
              > your fruit into a 25 - 30 liter ... clean plastic bucket and add 5 liters
              > ... of water ..." etc. I find this first step fuzzy as there are no
              > directions given as to how much fruit one should use. The rest of the
              > instructions on the packet seem clear enough. My main question is - how
              > many pounds/kilos of fruit should be added to make a batch of
              > schnapps? If I follow a standard fruit wine recipe and eliminate the
              > additives usually called for in fruit wines - and substitute pot
              > distiller's yeast for regular wine yeast - will I be on the right track
              > to making a good schnapps? For example: my winemaking booklet calls for
              > the following amounts of fruit per batch. Apricot - 7 kg (15 lbs.)
              > for 19 litres (5 U.S. gallons) Blackberry - 2.6 kg (6 lbs.) per 4
              > litres (1 gallon) Blueberry - 1 kg (2 1/2 lbs.) per 4 litres (1
              > gallon) etc. I look forward to any guidance I can get.
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              [Image]

              [Image]

            • pocoian2000
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                --- In new_distillers@y..., Robert Stam <Robert.Stam@b...> wrote:
                > Hi Ian,
                >
                > I haven't used the Prestige Pot Distillers yeast, but if I were
                making a
                > schnapps I would just try to make as good and clean a fruit wine as
                I could.
                > Take it off the lees early, say when you get down to an SG of
                1.005, and
                > rack it into another barrel to finish off the ferment.
                > Since you are going to be distilling the finished product and not
                drinking
                > it, you need (in my opinion) strong, robust flavours in the wine,
                and plenty
                > of aroma. Ferment on the skins, to extract as much of the
                flavinoids and
                > phenols as possible. Remove the stones (pits) as they often produce
                bitter
                > flavours. Avoid oxidisation as this removes the fruity esters. A
                long, cool,
                > slow ferment is best.
                > Rack off the lees again before distilling.
                > That's it.
                > Cheers, Rob

                Thanks Rob! I guess I have been doing more or less as you suggest.
                John V. pointed out that I should use the specific gravity as a
                guideline. This also is a good suggestion.

                Just sort of surprised that the directions on the Prestige Pot
                Distiller's Yeast packet is not more explicit. They should say for
                (whatever) amount of fruit, add sugar to bring up to (whatever)
                specific gravity, etc.

                Last year I did as you suggest and made "heavy" fruit wines with
                quite a bit more fruit than called for in the recipes. The fruit had
                all been frozen, so I did not add Campden tablets or sulphate. I also
                did not add tannin and other things you would usually add to some
                fruit wines. I did use pectic enzymes and "acidex". Actually, the
                wine turned out so nice that I did not have the heart to distill all
                of it. All the ladies in the neighbourhood just love it. But the
                schnapps I made with a small pot still was really good.

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2303158.3720906.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=17
                050416

                94:HM/A=810327/R=0/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>

                94:HM/A=810327/R=1/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>

                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                >

                > Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This
                electronic mail
                > message and any accompanying attachments may contain information
                that is
                > privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient
                you are
                > advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or
                reproduction of
                > the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
                have
                > received this document in error, please notify the sender
                immediately and
                > destroy the message.
              • pocoian2000
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                  --- In new_distillers@y..., "Zeke Jones" <joneszeke@h...> wrote:
                  > I have used this turbo with good results....with sugar and water
                  only....I
                  > never noticed the 'fruit' thing you mentioned....:>)

                  Hi Zeke! Different product. Prestige Pot Distiller's Yeast is a
                  completly different strain than any of the "turbo" yeasts. It is
                  intented for use in making fruit schnapps or fruit brandies. I have
                  tried using turbo yeasts in fruit schnapps but fine the pot
                  distillers yeast produces a much better flavour. The directions keep
                  mentioning the fruit, but give no indication of how much fruit to use.
                  Each packet is good for 25 litres.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                    Your right, the instructions could use a bit of padding out.

                    Incidentally, freezing the fruit before hand is a good way of extracting more juice and reducing the pectin haze. By freezing the fruit you cause the water in the cells to expand and split the cellulose walls.

                    Cheers, Rob

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                      A friend gave me a pkg of the Prestige Pot Distillers and I just used it
                      like any other turbo...I guess I didnt read the pkg very well..:>)...it
                      worked OK but I prefer the Batch 14%...I have had very good results with
                      it,but only with sugar water washs,as this is all I use......:>)

                    • ups474@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                        Don't forget to add acid to counter the sugar you add- without it, the brandy
                        can be flat, and one-dimensional.
                        Trying to get the sugar to dissolve in the fruit pulp without any water is
                        the best way to go, if you can.