Re: [new_distillers] Polish Plum Brandy

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
      Having just read a section of a technical manual about distilling on the
      flavors of whiskey- I think I know why the old polish plum distiller uses
      very little yeast, and why the slivovitz post from John V. mentioned aging
      the plum wine for a long time before distilling it. Appearantly, over the
      last 20 years research has proven that the majority of flavor compounds in
      whiskey come from the yeast that is used. The aldehydes that the yeast
      contributes turn into esters on long aging. These halp to provide a better
      flavor for the whisky. In a fruit brandy (like plums)- this would mar the
      flavor of the fruit- It may make it more complex if it were aged on oak for a
      while- but for those attempting to make a clear slivovitz/schnaps type of
      spirit- the yeast would give flavors that prevent the pure plum flavor from
      coming through. I guess another rule for fruit brandy/schnaps has got to be:
      Let the wine clarify fully before distilling- no distilling on the lees!.