Thump keg

  • Stevensgang@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16 7:04 PM
      Tony! How is everything? Just wondering if you have ever heard of a
      thump keg ? [Cousin Bill] says I need one to make good shine. A thump
      keg would be another kettle like you have but would be connected with a
      piece of copper tubing from the top of your original still then it would
      slide down inside the compression fitting in the second kettle down
      far enough that it would only be maybe a couple of inches from the
      bottom. As the mash heats up in the first kettle the hot steam pushes
      into the mash in the second kettle heating it up thereby increasing your
      stilling capacity by 100%. [this is of course a potstill] After making
      your first run you then clean both kettles pouring your singlings into
      your thump keg and once again filling your still with fresh mash and
      running it allthrough. you should then have good smooth shine.I only had
      a chance to meet and talk to [Cousin Bill] one time but tried my best to
      pick his brain. If I use a thump keg I guess I need to have a
      thermometer in the thump keg right? Just wondering on yor thoughts!!