Alcohol for fuel

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2001
      My interests are in using alcohol for fuel. I'm seeing this kind of
      advice in some newsgroup postings:

      ? Do not use gasohal or gasoline alcohol fuel blends.

      My briggs and straton manual says the same thing, and so do other
      places, but why? Why can't I use alcohol in the generator? I'm
      aware that alcohol mixed with gas will burn more completely (possibly
      burn hotter) but my understanding is that alcohol when burned by
      itself burns substantially cooler (thus nascar uses it).

      I'd like to build a small 12 vdc generator out of a gmc or other such
      alternator with its own voltage regulator, and power it with a briggs
      and strat or some such engine burning alcohol

      Suggestions?

      please cc responses to jpollock30@...
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 24, 2001
        Jim,

        Steve Spence at http://www.webconx.com/ethanol.htm or
        Keith Addison at http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_link.html
        should be able to answer your questions.

        Both sites have heaps of information - in particular, see the Alcohol Fuel
        Manual on Keiths site - Chapter 2

        Both post on the "Biofuels" newsgroup at www.yahoogroups.com

        I think that its something to do with the amount of water still remaining
        in the alcohol. Its ok if the alcohol is used by itself as a fuel (even
        down to 80% purity), however if mixed with petrol/gasoline, the water will
        seperate out and become a problem. If mixing alcohol with petrol, it will
        need to be dried to remove the water content.

        Tony