Some theory help on reboiler design...

  • bokakob
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
      I wonder what size re-boiler would be needed for a typical reflux
      tower type still for the second stage. I would think that the max
      what you might need would be about 20% of the wash volume. Say if
      you have 5 gallons at 15% wash then the size would be needed about
      5*4qt/gal*0.15(%)+1qt=4quarts (1 gallon = approx. 4 liters or
      quarts). For 5 gallons wash the re-boiler would be needed is about 1
      gallon or 4 liters. Fot the next stage it would be 20% of 4 liters
      or about 1 liter.
      The reason I verify this is that I want to develop a nice looking
      tabletop type of reflux still. One of the features would be a re-
      boiler. If I am correct this should be equal to second and third re-
      distilling stages; or perhaps thumper boxes. Please give me some
      input on this so I can proceed. It is not enough to have just logics
      and deduction. I still need some theoretical background. All that
      material I found on the net was just a descriptive narrative text
      and very little theory behind.
      Thank you in advance to all who would help me on this. In exchange I
      will try to develop a nice looking and elegant table top still.
      Cheers, Alex...
    • bokakob
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
        Strange, nobody helpled... :-(

        --- In new_distillers@y..., "bokakob" <bokakob@y...> wrote:
        > I wonder what size re-boiler would be needed for a typical reflux
        > tower type still for the second stage. I would think that the max
        > what you might need would be about 20% of the wash volume. Say if
        > you have 5 gallons at 15% wash then the size would be needed about
        > 5*4qt/gal*0.15(%)+1qt=4quarts (1 gallon = approx. 4 liters or
        > quarts). For 5 gallons wash the re-boiler would be needed is about
        1
        > gallon or 4 liters. Fot the next stage it would be 20% of 4 liters
        > or about 1 liter.
        > The reason I verify this is that I want to develop a nice looking
        > tabletop type of reflux still. One of the features would be a re-
        > boiler. If I am correct this should be equal to second and third
        re-
        > distilling stages; or perhaps thumper boxes. Please give me some
        > input on this so I can proceed. It is not enough to have just
        logics
        > and deduction. I still need some theoretical background. All that
        > material I found on the net was just a descriptive narrative text
        > and very little theory behind.
        > Thank you in advance to all who would help me on this. In exchange
        > will try to develop a nice looking and elegant table top still.
        > Cheers, Alex...
      • casa_de_tierra
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2002
          Tony Ackland's thumper page has both theory and practical advice.

          http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm#thumper