Re: [new_distillers] malt extract wash

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
      Regular beer yeast can handle 12 to 14 pounds of malt extract in 5 gallons of
      water- a turbo may be able to handle as much as 16 pounds- Other than that-it
      ahould be just like using sugar- I only use beer yeast because that's what
      commercial malt whiskey distilleries use.
    • stillyaakman
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
        --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
        > Regular beer yeast can handle 12 to 14 pounds of malt extract in 5
        gallons of
        > water- a turbo may be able to handle as much as 16 pounds- Other
        than that-it
        > ahould be just like using sugar- I only use beer yeast because
        that's what
        > commercial malt whiskey distilleries use.

        Thanks for the info.
        Are we both talking about dme or syrup?
        Also, is the info. on off flavors from turbo based on experience?
        Thanks again. Dan
      • ups474@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
          The 12-14 pounds is the liquid malt extract.
          yep, the off-flavors info is from experience