Re: [new_distillers] malt extract wash

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
      On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 07:40:19PM -0000, stillyaakman wrote:
      > Has anyone made a turbo wash with malt extract as the sugar? If
      > so,any details, weights, outcomes, etc. would be appreciated.
      > Dan

      hmm I wouldn't recommend it, it would be a waste of malt IMHO. Turbos are
      really designed for fast, complete fermentation to produce high alcohol
      content, and consequently a not-very-good flavor profile. Refined sugar is a
      cheaper and cleaner way to make use of a turbo. But if you just happen to
      have a warehouse full of malt extract laying around and you don't like
      beer...I don't see why it wouldn't work :-)

      -matt

      Matthew @ psibercom
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
        Regular beer yeast can handle 12 to 14 pounds of malt extract in 5 gallons of
        water- a turbo may be able to handle as much as 16 pounds- Other than that-it
        ahould be just like using sugar- I only use beer yeast because that's what
        commercial malt whiskey distilleries use.
      • stillyaakman
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
          --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
          > Regular beer yeast can handle 12 to 14 pounds of malt extract in 5
          gallons of
          > water- a turbo may be able to handle as much as 16 pounds- Other
          than that-it
          > ahould be just like using sugar- I only use beer yeast because
          that's what
          > commercial malt whiskey distilleries use.

          Thanks for the info.
          Are we both talking about dme or syrup?
          Also, is the info. on off flavors from turbo based on experience?
          Thanks again. Dan
        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
            The 12-14 pounds is the liquid malt extract.
            yep, the off-flavors info is from experience