Re: straining bags

  • gringotony
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2 9:17 AM
      John,

      The nylon paint straining bags work well for me as well. I prefer
      using them over the top of large food grade plastic pails (available
      free at restaurants or deli's). The deep pail gives lots of capacity
      for strained liquid and leaving it drain overnight recovers prety
      much all of the available liquid from the fruit or mash. When the
      mash is too heavy the strainer elastic can't hold the weight, in this
      case use a stainless hose clamp (band clamp)to secure the strainer to
      the top of the pail. If you can't find a large enough clamp to fit
      around the bucket two smaller clamps can be easily assembled end to
      end and they are less expensive than one large one. I paid $1.70 Cdn.
      for a pair of small clamps a few days ago.

      Tony

      --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
      wrote:
      > Hello all,
      > Herewith a tip for those stuck with draining mash. The ideal item
      for this
      > is the nylon paint straining bags sold at paint supplies stores.
      It comes
      > in two sizes, the larger ones fits over an average-sized kitchen
      pan. I
      > now use them for straining mash; my wife 'borrow' them for
      straining berry
      > juice for jams and jellies. They clean very easily, just hold under
      > running water. N.B. this is not my idea - I was encouraged to try
      them by
      > 'goldenshine' and 'ups474'.
      > JohnV
    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2 2:26 PM
        Hey gringotony!!
        Good to hear from you.
        The hoseclamp idea for the deep pails is a winner. Tomorrow I will search
        through the hdwe store!
        Many thanks,
        JohnV