straining bags

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
      Hello all,
      Herewith a tip for those stuck with draining mash. The ideal item for this
      is the nylon paint straining bags sold at paint supplies stores. It comes
      in two sizes, the larger ones fits over an average-sized kitchen pan. I
      now use them for straining mash; my wife 'borrow' them for straining berry
      juice for jams and jellies. They clean very easily, just hold under
      running water. N.B. this is not my idea - I was encouraged to try them by
      'goldenshine' and 'ups474'.
      JohnV
    • gringotony
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
        John,

        The nylon paint straining bags work well for me as well. I prefer
        using them over the top of large food grade plastic pails (available
        free at restaurants or deli's). The deep pail gives lots of capacity
        for strained liquid and leaving it drain overnight recovers prety
        much all of the available liquid from the fruit or mash. When the
        mash is too heavy the strainer elastic can't hold the weight, in this
        case use a stainless hose clamp (band clamp)to secure the strainer to
        the top of the pail. If you can't find a large enough clamp to fit
        around the bucket two smaller clamps can be easily assembled end to
        end and they are less expensive than one large one. I paid $1.70 Cdn.
        for a pair of small clamps a few days ago.

        Tony

        --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
        wrote:
        > Hello all,
        > Herewith a tip for those stuck with draining mash. The ideal item
        for this
        > is the nylon paint straining bags sold at paint supplies stores.
        It comes
        > in two sizes, the larger ones fits over an average-sized kitchen
        pan. I
        > now use them for straining mash; my wife 'borrow' them for
        straining berry
        > juice for jams and jellies. They clean very easily, just hold under
        > running water. N.B. this is not my idea - I was encouraged to try
        them by
        > 'goldenshine' and 'ups474'.
        > JohnV
      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
          Hey gringotony!!
          Good to hear from you.
          The hoseclamp idea for the deep pails is a winner. Tomorrow I will search
          through the hdwe store!
          Many thanks,
          JohnV